1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First girlfriend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by wrndnwun, Jul 15, 2018.

1. wrndnwun

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I met my girlfriend just over a month ago on a dating app and we became official just a couple of weeks ago, anyways it's my first relationship and she's dated quite a few other people before so I just feel terribly inexperienced. I like her a lot, I've liked her since we started talking but the thing is I also still kind of have a crush on my straight best friend and I feel really bad about it even though I know nothing will ever happen between us, there's still a part of me that can't help but wish it would. I've had a crush on my friend for awhile now and I was hoping that by actually dating someone it would help it go away but when we hang out the attraction is still there and I don't think that's fair to my gf, but the thing is I really like her too it's just that we haven't known each other that long and there's still so much that I don't know about her, and it usually takes me some time before I actually start to care about someone. I want to be a good girlfriend and I want to make this work but I'm not sure how and it doesn't help that this is my first real relationship, so I'm just lost as to what to do. Has anyone else ever felt this way and what did you do about it?

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you need to invest your time and energy in your new relationship, rather than in your straight friend, who is and always will be out of reach. It's understandable that you feel very close to your friend and have a special affection for her because you have known her for a long time, but don't blur the lines between friendship and a relationship.

By your own admission, you know nothing will ever happen with your friend, so focus on that simple fact and put the effort in with your girlfriend. A new relationship needs your attention if it's going to work.

wrndnwun likes this.
  3. wrndnwun

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your response, that was what I needed to hear :slight_smile: