1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First date

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BlueNeon, Mar 19, 2018.

1. BlueNeon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has been the busiest and most eventful week in my life. One of the many things that has been going on is that I've been asked on a date. As the thread title implies, this will be my first date. I'm excited, as you might imagine, but I'm also kind of nervous. I get that it's only a date, not a commitment, but I'm kind of worried about striking the right balance between being open to seeing what happens and managing expectations about this leading to something.

I also have no freaking idea what I'm supposed to do on a date. I don't know who is supposed to pay for what, and while I'm willing to pay for everything, I don't have a lot of money to play with. What kind of stuff am I supposed to talk about? What do I do if I end up being really interested in her? What if it turns out that there's just nothing there? What do I do about that, especially if I come to that realization in the middle of the date? I've got about a million more questions zipping around in my head, and I don't want to screw this up because my brain has decided to stop functioning. I'm willing to listen to any advice that anyone has for me.

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've gone on dates with a bunch of girls, and since people are people I'm guessing Lesbian girls are mostly the same as straight girls when it comes to this type of stuff so I'll try to help.

The biggest thing is don't show your nervousness even if you don't know what to do, all that does is weird the girl out and make things awkward. For conversation topics - try to find shared interests, like ask them about their hobbies and share yours in return. Ask where they are from and how it was to live there, then say the same about where you're from. It doesn't have to be big stuff, just learn about each other and share things. Don't mention sex or past relationships or how hot you think they are, just don't, it's not a first date topic.

If you're really interested in her, at the end of the date ask her if she would want to go out again next week, and make sure you say somewhere specific you want to go with her because it shows her you put thought into it and it wasn't just a random offer.

If you're not interested in her - even if you realize it in the middle of the date, finish the date like normal anyway and just don't ask for a second date at the end. Ending it in the middle of super rude to the other person and makes them feel bad. If she asks you out again and you don't want to go, just be honest and say you don't think you would be a good fit for each other. If she asks you why, be honest, trying to pretend there is nothing wrong or doing that dumb 'it's not you, it's me' thing just hurts the other person since they don't know what they did wrong.

When it comes to who pays for things - I've found it's best to just ask them directly how they prefer to handle it, especially considering you're both the same gender so the whole traditional thing of the man paying for it doesn't even apply at all here. Some girls get offended if the other person tries to pay for everything without asking them, it makes them feel like someone is buying them or trying to bribe them. I would never assume they wanted me to pay for everything for them, I'd just ask them how they wanted to handle it and they would always appreciate being asked. Sometimes they'd want us each to pay for only our own stuff, sometimes they'd ask me to pay for it and I would, and one time she even insisted on paying for both of us because she was the one who asked for the date in the first place.

As for where to go on dates - this system seemed to work well:

1st date - go out to lunch somewhere basic, like a casual sit-down restaurant that isn't expensive. The casual atmosphere helps put you both at ease and it's cheap so it's not a big deal if they want you to pay for everything, and if it doesn't work out you only lost like $15 so who cares. My very first ever date was lunch at Denny's for example.

2nd date - instead of just getting food, go do something together. Go to a movie, an amusement park, the zoo or just anything that sounds fun and still casual. This lets you see each other actively doing something and reacting to stuff instead of just staring at each other over food thinking of questions to as each other. Don't try to focus much on asking them things this time, just have fun and let things happen naturally.

3rd date - If you like them enough to see them three times and you had fun the last time, there is some kind of a connection. Go out to dinner at a less-casual place and start being more romantic. Tell them they look beautiful, comment on how you like what they are wearing or their hair. Slow things down and make it all about enjoying talking to and looking at each other. Try to hold her hand or hug her at some point if you can do it naturally. After the date if everything is still going well and you can do it naturally, asking if you can kiss them goodnight is appropriate.

Any future dates are determined by their interests, your interests, and how comfortable you are being together. In my experience, sex usually happens for the first time around the 5th date once you know you really get along, have a connection, and can trust each other. Trying to push for sex before then has a large risk of making them think you're only interested in them for the sex and not because you really like them.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your date - I'm sure it will be great :slight_smile:

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi BlueNeon...It's great to see your post, but I gotta say...you arrived in Seattle on Wednesday last week. It's now Tuesday and in less than a week you've already got a date? Woah...you go girl!! I am impressed! Hey Destin gave you some great advice. Have fun on that date and on the next and the next and next....
    .....David

BlueNeon and Destin like this.
  4. BlueNeon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What can I say? Clearly, I'm quite the hot commodity in the local LGBTQ+ scene. :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, I was surprised too. I went to a gathering that the LGBTQ+ center was having on campus, and a girl there asked me to dinner. Unfortunately, there really wasn't any kind of connection on the date, so I don't think I'll be asked by her on a second date. Even if I was, I wouldn't say yes. It's not like she's a horrible person or anything, it just doesn't feel like we're all that compatible. I will definitely keep the advice from Destin in mind for future dates.

quebec and Destin like this.
  5. BlueNeon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got another quick question about dating that probably doesn't need its own thread, and since it's somewhat related to this one, I thought I'd just ask here.

In the short time since my first date with that girl that I didn't connect with, I've met another girl that I really get along with. We met on a group outing with the LGBTQ+ center on campus, and by the end of the night, it was obvious that we were interested in each other. She asked me to a party last Friday, which was OK, but I really enjoyed our time together after the party, when we were just walking around campus talking with each other. At the end of the night, she asked me out on a date for this upcoming Friday, which I'm quite excited about.

My question is, if things between us keep going well, and I decide I'd like to ask her for another date, how long should there be between the date this Friday and the next date? I don't want to put a lot of pressure on her by asking to go on another date the next day or anything like that, but if things keep going the way they have, I'm going to want to see her again soon. Does anyone have any input on this?

6. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually about 2-3 days after is normal between the first and second dates. Much longer than that and it risks her thinking you didn't like it, but the very next day looks a bit clingy and sometimes that scares people away.

BlueNeon likes this.
  7. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BlueNeon, welcome to Seattle! What an exciting time for you! This is one of the most LGBTQ-friendly cities in the world, so you’ll have a great time here I’m sure.

My rules of thumb about dates:

1. Be yourself, as much as you can, despite the nervousness. It’s the only way they can know if they’re feeling a legitimate connection too.
    2. Be confident and accept that you’re nervous. Just acknowledging the nerves can go a long way to becoming present again.
    3. Money. Ugh. I tend to offer to pay first, and if there’s a big protest I’ll let them cover a tip. Or if they beat me to it, I insist on paying for the tip or another drink. In my opinion it’s good to look at body language more than words to know a person’s comfort level with paying - and generally in the date itself.
    4. Follow-up. Ugh. My general rule is to say thanks for the date within a day, and wait at least 3 days from the first date to ask for a second. It gives both people time to process and think, and it doesn’t come across too clingy.

So, those are my thoughts on dates from my non-existent dating life! *lol* But in a parallel universe where I have dated successfully, these usually work for me.

Again, welcome to the Emerald City!

Patrick

Destin and BlueNeon like this.