1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First coming-out to childhood friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by G1969, Aug 17, 2008.

1. G1969

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmmm! It seems that it’s now been about 9 months since I’ve come out to anyone, with the last ones to learn about me being my 2 kids, now 10 and 8 years old. Sometimes I wonder if they remember as we only revisited the issue only a couple of times since I’ve told them, not that my behaviour with them or daily activities when I’m with them has changed in any way. This would be different if I had introduced my boyfriend to them, which I haven’t yet for a number of reasons. I am back to share my most recent coming-out story.

My best friend from childhood recently celebrated his 39th birthday. I haven’t seen him from about 10 years now but we have always sent each other birthday wishes, and this year wouldn’t be any different. So I did set out to send him an e-mail (yes… by e-mail ) to let him know what had happened in the past year. He is the first friend that I have actually come out to. He now lives in Montreal, a city that I left in 1991 to live different places in North America for school and work. A few days later, he replied with very nice and encouraging words. Here is an excerpt from his note:

"…I don’t believe ever receiving such a surprise for my birthday. Your note beat all the gifts and surprise-parties from all the past (almost) 40 years! In fact, it is a very nice gift that you’re giving me this year. Your sharing of this private matter and your confidence touch me and remind me of how alive our relationship remains despite the distance and time that passes…"

He also acknowledged the courage that we all know is needed to come out to our loved ones. He certainly knows about it too as he came out when we were both university students. At any rate, his note was quite comforting and I thought I’d share. He’s also given the contact info of another childhood friend that I had somewhat lost touch with and who’s also gay… (Indeed, go figure!) It turns out that he will be in Toronto with his boyfriend next weekend. So I decided to come out to him too. I’m looking forward to hearing back from him. I’m sure he will be quite supportive, just as I was when he came out to me over 20 years ago. Maybe I’ll have a chance to introduce my wonderful boyfriend to him. That will actually be the first time that I get to introduce him to friends of mine. Yay! (!)

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congratulations! That is wonderful!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am happy for you that he took it so well and is accepting and supportive. Congratulations! :slight_smile:

4. silentsound

congratulations!

5. Inspired Zebra

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's an amazing story. You have got a true friend there for sure. Congratz!

6. Knowing Me

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. s5m1

Thanks for sharing a great story. I am very happy for you.

8. Sam

Sam

Congrats! thats great.

9. James

Congratulations!