1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding a relationship when you're shy and live in a small city

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AuroraBorealis, Aug 19, 2017.

1. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My bio says I'm out to "some people"..."some people" is my parents and siblings. One of my friends used to know but I basically re-closeted myself(I'm an idiot) The reasons I'm not out to everyone:

1. I'm religious and very involved with church.
    2. I'm very introverted/private and naturally insecure with myself.
    3. My mother discourages it. She acts like it's up to me, she acts like I'm so far in the closet, and it's a "dirty little secret" It's not. I feel like if it weren't for 1 and 2 I'd be shouting it to the roof tops.

I will admit maybe to a point, I'm scared of what people will think about me if I tell them I'm a lesbian, I'm not sure why, because I'm not ashamed of it myself, but I feel shame when my mom brings it up, I guess because I know how she originally felt about it. It's ridiculous, I can't even tell two of my close friends who are LGBT that I'm gay out of concern of what they'll think...what the f*** is that? I think a major part of that has to do with me being so private. It's not just being gay that I hide from people outside of close family, it's everything. Including out of the country vacations. I think for some reason I just have a fear of being made fun of.

I want to be out and to date someone, but then I realize what's the point if I live in a small city where it feels like there's no available lesbians? I really like one of the LGBT friends that I have, she presents herself as a lesbian, a female, uses a female name, pronouns, rarely binds, etc but there are some signs she might be ftm(I don't know that for a 100% spot on fact, but there are signs that I won't do into) part of me understands why she would hide it from me but part of me doesn't(I mean I don't want to start rambling about our friendship) but what I mean it, I don't want this to sound shitty, but if me and her were to get together and she transitions..I just couldn't do it, the love and friendship would obviously still be there, but in the same way I couldn't be with a biological male, I can't be with a man..

I just I don't know, this post is a sh*t storm, I'm sorry, do I just go up to people and be like "Hey, I'm a lesbian are you? Are you intereted?" I don't know, I'm at a lost point in my life. I think I might have a form of depression.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I'm sorry you are in such a crappy situation, I can understand why you aren't more out a proud. I actually found it hard to come out to a couple of LGBT friends that I had when I was first coming out, I don't really know why but I think I was just embarrassed that it had taken me so long to figure it out. They were of course absolutely fine when I told them. I can understand not wanting to make a fool out of yourself but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do that to you.
    How far away do you live from any LGBT meetups? Maybe your friend is trans and maybe she isn't but I think coming out to her would be a good first step, she might then confide in you.

lovewine likes this.
  3. lovewine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might be nice to tell your LGBT friends? They'll be the ones to understand you the most, I think. You can out yourself to them and continue the friendship. Once you have settled in to that situation, then you can start dating? So you won't be too overwhelmed. I'm sure your friends can introduce you to other lesbians. :slight_smile: Try dating apps too!