1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding a new psychiatrist feels impossible

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jared, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Jared

So I'm needing to find a new psychiatrist since my old was at the student health center at my university and I've since graduated. I've been bad about finding a new and procrastinating, but I'm going to run out of meds in a few months so I really need to find one, but it feels like I won't. Everybody I call seems to either not be accepting new patients or doesn't return my calls. It takes a lot for me to even make the calls, I don't know why I can't just bring myself to make phone calls easily. I'm trying not to get discouraged but I just feel so fucked right now and the longer I go with no luck, the harder it is for me to keep trying to find a new one. I worry that I'll go through all of this trouble and end up with one I don't like and have to start over :tears::tears: Ok rant over

2. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Jared. Try not to get discouraged. I'm sure you'll find a place soon. Phone calls can be pretty intimidating, but keep trying. Could your old psychiatrist refer you to somebody?

3. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey I am on meds too.

I am on prozac for depression and anxiety.

First of all make sure you are able to get a refill if it helps and I suggest going through state services to find a therapist. The whole process only took like a little less then a month.

4. AAASAS

Can't you get a referral from you GP?

5. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you mean you need to find a psychiatrist or a therapist or a therapist who is also a psychiatrist?

A good starting place could be to go back to your previous psychiatrist and ask if they could recommend someone for you.

6. Mitchell

Hi...

Contact your insurance company. There should be a number on the back of your card. Providing them with your policy number and the such they should be able to give you a listing of psychiatrists in your area that are accepting new patients.

My insurance company does that as well as actually providing me with an online portal where it lists psychiatrists in the area, if they are taking new clients, their specialties, and so on.

Good luck...