1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Maddybug, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Maddybug

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi everyone I’m new to this site and the whole forum thing in general. I have finally allowed myself to be comfortable with my sexuality this year and it is really liberating! My friends are happy for me, but my family is very unsupportive. I’d like to hear about other people’s experiences with this kind of thing and how they’ve dealt with that kind of struggle.

2. ZoeyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My advice is to try to talk to your family a bit more about the subject, maybe get them to the pride when it happens in your area. I was fortunate enough that my area is very lgbt accepting and we've had pride now for the past 4 years apart from this year due to lack of funding from council unfortunately. i took my parents to see the pride in the second year and they really enjoyed it and my mum started to feel more comfortable talking about gay/lesbian people more with my sister who talks her about some friend long time friends coming out.

So if you think they can be open minded then perhaps a pride festy would be good as they can see the positive side instead of what homophobic people tell them.

I hope it goes well and sorry if it is a bit of a short answer or sounds irrelevant to what you asked for.

leighkush likes this.
  3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How long is it since you came out to your family? Is there anyone in your family who is supportive? It is good that your friends are supportive. Hopefully your family will come around.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In what way are they unsupportive?

The thing to remember, is that it sometimes takes a while for parents and relatives to come round. From the day we are born, our parents have certain ideas about our future and when we come out to them it really can be like throwing a stick of dynamite into their hopes and dreams for our lives - and by extension, their lives. It shouldn't be like that, but it often is.

We also have to remember that we have time to adjust and come to terms with our sexuality. We struggle with it in secret for some time and then start to take baby steps towards the closet door, dropping hints and telling selected friends. In most cases our parents and relatives are just hit with the news, with no forewarning, so they need a period of time to adjust and come to terms with things. It's a bit like the grieving process for some parents.

It may be helpful to point your parents/relatives in the direction of PFLAG - www.pflag.org

5. Cind Ace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Maddie,

Me too,im new to this forum and this is a nice way to hear from other peoples views and opinions and hear support even from strangers but understand us and to give my full support as well in return.
    When i came out to my family and everyone not a long time ago. Its quite liberating that i couldnt wait to go out there and be free like a bird out from the cage for a long time. However it is not all easy,not all people you love would understand or accept,mine luckily my sister came around not quite long after we had fights when i told her before mom but its feels good when you let it all out and i did let her know first rather than she’d know it from anybody else.
    I chugged beers and 3 margaritas one after another when i told my mom ,thinking the worst case scenarios in my head what if id be disowned,it my culture it can happen. But to my suprised moms really knew best . I didnt think my mom would be so open and accepting to me when i know she is conservative but i know deep down she knows her child better than anyone in the world. All that mattered to me right that moment was only from my family esp my mom.
    I was beyond happy and free when someone u loved accepted you wholeheartedly.
    You know Maddie they will come around ,some of your loved ones might not be ready today but give them time and to sink in all the emotions they have after hearing you after u dropped the bomb.Its not easy for them as well but time will come and next thing you know they are ready for you and believe me it’ll get easier everyday.
    I really hope you’ll get it soon Maddie and I'm here to support and Ive been there .

leighkush likes this.