1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally going to start hanging out again after a two months break with (closeted) friend&crush

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Dutchboy20, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Dutchboy20

Background:

Last year I met a boy that told me he might be bisexual (I'm gay). I started to develop feelings for him and while chasing him we became close friends. He also had feelings for me because he did sort of open up to me about them and we also kissed once (his only time with a boy). He seems to have changed his mind about me over and over again and at some point I lost my temper and blew it. Began to act irrational to him and got into a fight. That was the moment I stepped back for a while and told him I needed time away.

So for the last couple of weeks I felt happy and the heartbreak was gone. So at some point I decided I wanted to hang out with him again. So tomorrow we are going to a festival with some friends.

Now this is whats difficult for me; I'm still not 100% over him. I see a huge difference to the way I acted before though. I don't feel heartbroken thats for sure. And lately most of the time when I though about him I was just excited to just hang out again.

These are my concerns:
    - I notice that I still can create 'what ifs' in my head. Last week he drunk-texted me. It was weird. But my mind was like: 'He was thinking about me. So maybe he still likes me?' This scares me; Will I start evaluating everything he says or does again?
    - I am oversensitive towards him. He is the most annoying person on Whatsapp I have ever met. His responses are supershort and unless its a question he often doesn't even response. Yesterday he asked for some help for an event that was sold-out and I could maybe get him tickets for it. While I was helping his responses were short and there was no 'thank you' or anything. It really bothered me. And when I calmed down I realised that it was nothing. Every friend has downsides and this is something so small that its ridiculous that it annoys me.
    - I used to get a special treatment from him. He would respond to many of my snapchats, would mainly talk to me at drinks from our student organization. We would even have long conversations on whatsapp. I feel a sort of emptiness now thats gone. This doesn't bother me that often but I am afraid that once we start hanging out again this will become a problem again.
    - Also, for a while I was that friend that he could talk to about his sexuality doubts and sometimes some other problems. Last time this happened was before he knew I was into him. It would hurt me if he wouldn't trust me anymore. I don't have to know anything if he has nothing that he wants to talk about but I just hope he doesn't hold back from telling me thungs because of the past.

To summarise: basically I am afraid of how my mind and heart are going to handle itself in the near future. If I can actually enjoy hanging out with him or that its going to be mainly unrequited love. But I just feel like after everything that happened he has showed that he is a great friend and would have been my best friend if he wasn't cute or wouldn't have told me about his sexuality issues.

I guess I am writing this because I want advice on how to mentally prepare for whats next. Two things that I already have decided: 1) I won't text him when I don't have to 2) Since he is moving two blocks away; I will only spontanously hang out with him for a while. I don't want to get addicted to him again and I don't want to be clingy.

Could it be that I am just getting a bit nervous after two months of not seeing each other? Is that normal?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could just be nervous, sure. It sounds like you made a good decision in taking some time off from hanging out though - my best suggestion would be that, if you find yourself getting too emotionally invested again, take another break from hanging out with him. If being friends works out - and I hope it does - then great; but if not, you're under no obligation to continue frustrating yourself and lashing out at him if the relationship just isn't going to be what you hope for.