1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Jellal, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Jellal

If you've played one of these games, what is your favorite game in the final fantasy series?

I love Final Fantasy 9 the most. The world was so jolly and colorful compared to the last two games, and I think that after FF15 it's high time Square tries to recapture that real fantasy feel you get from adventuring in this game. Because it had so much more whimsical content it felt more balanced from a story perspective, it felt more realistic—when sad stuff happened in the plot there was more weight to it because it stood in contrast to the world around you.

If you play through this game from start to finish I think you'll be convinced this is the definitive classic in the FF series. It has that sense of emotional weight, that building theme of friendship, and eventually, that chill-inducing and heartrending edge that comes from facing up to despair and grappling with hard truths. It also has a comic streak that made a lot of the cast much more lovable. When Vivi got existential, I actually felt something for him.

I think you can download it on the PS3 these days? Check it out and make it your next RPG to play through. It's still one of the very best out there.

2. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've played all of them from 1 to 12 (quit halfway through 13) and found my favorite to still be 6. I loved how the villain was outright psychotic yet methodical, how you actually felt this huge war brewing because of an empires greed, and the major twist halfway through the game. That and the customization allowed me to make my party the way I wanted it to be rather than having set class I always had to follow. It wasn't as open-ended as 3 or 5's job system, but it had just enough uniqueness between the characters while allowing you to control their roles. Though I will say my 2nd favorite game is 9 for the same reasons you stated. And yes, Square needs to desperately save this series before it falls into obscurity any further. Have you checked out Bravely Default? It's like a spiritual successor to what Final Fantasy used to be. I highly recommend it if you have a 3DS.

3. Jellal

I'm going to buy it once I get a 3DS. The 3DS is going to be my RPG machine :grin:

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree. FF9 was by far my favorite.

5. Quiet Raven

I can't choose a number 1 favorite. But my top 3 are IV, VII, and X.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

III/VI is my favorite, for a variety of reasons. But I also enjoyed X, which was a surprise since Tidus annoyed the living fire out of me. VII, while a decent game, is severely overrated. I've never properly played IX, but it has one of the most divisive opinions on it, with those who hate it, detesting it, and those who love it, adoring it.

I can vaguely remember the earlier ones before VI. VIII was too... I wasn't feeling it, even though I liked the idea of a gunblade.

After X, I tried XII but stopped a little ways into it. I prefer turn-based combat, for my Final Fantasy games.