1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FFVII Remake. That Is All.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RawringSnake, Dec 5, 2015.

1. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is how you remake.

[YOUTUBE]A3sBZ5Nr4hc[/YOUTUBE]​

2. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All aboard the hype train!!
    [​IMG]
    Choo chooooo

3. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The size of Cloud's sword has always been absolutely ridiculous, but it has never been more emphasized than now with the updated graphics. Cloud looks waaay too scrawny to be lugging around that slab of sharp metal, let alone alone wield it. Then again, this is Final Fantasy (at it's slickest!) so who cares lol.

#3 RawringSnake, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  4. Lazuri

With a combat system that is a bit more active, I might actually give an FF game a chance for once.

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Still going to wait for the inevitable (probably God awful port) PC version

6. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Same.

7. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same here. Previous to this and FFXV, my interest in the series was limited to the Final Fantasy Tactics games (which I adore) and to a lesser extent the Dissidia ones. I just can't stand the regular turn-based RPG mold anymore, which is odd because I used to play Pokemon like crazy back in the day; playing it now feels more like a chore than anything. This combat tho? Now this looks more like something I will enjoy mastering, rather than put up with for the sake of the story (and the music).

Why do you say that? I have zero experience with Square Enix's FF ports to PC, so I don't know what's their reputation in that regard.

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Square Enix and PC ports go like this -

XIII had no graphics options and was locked at 720p/30fps

III, IV and V were ports of the iOS ports of the DS remakes and looked horrible on bigger screens.

VII & VIII were alright, not as bad looking as III & co but still could have done with a clean up. Less said about SE's approach to cloud saving the better. If I remember correctly the original ports weren't exactly brilliant either, MIDI music anyone?

The Last Remnant ran like Barney Gumble, despite being on Unreal tech and not exactly being a looker, even with everything switched on. Not that there was much to switch on in the first place.

#8 GeeLee, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  9. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yess. I'm all one for turn based RPGs, don't get me wrong, but the Kingdom Hearts-esque combat style for this game seems immensely appealing. I've always been fond of Kingdom Hearts' battle system and seeing it translated for FFVII is just... Mmm, really gorgeous. Yea, I'm not getting off the hype train anytime soon.

10. Lazuri

Kingdom Hearts is the only JRPGS I ever liked because they did away with virtually every single JRPG trope I disliked.

11. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hopefully, they make a well optimized version for PC.

12. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They just haaaaad to change the battle system to an action rpg... Ugh... -_-

13. Lazuri

Considering the classic combat system is one of the most boring devised then yes, they had to. What's the point of doing a remake if you're just going to make the same game with better graphics instead of updating the gameplay to something that is more viable today?

14. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats a matter of opinion. God forbid I want a turn based rpg. Making an action rpg doesn't make a game more modern, it just changed the genre. I freaking hate this arguement people have that turn based RPGs are dated relics. Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it is boring to everyone. If the classic battle system was so boring then why is it Final Fantasy was such a popular series before they started changing the battle system into a more action oriented battle system? It's not like I don't like Action RPGs, I freaking love .hack and Xenoblade and tons of others out there but my favorite genre has always been turn based rpg games. So f:***:k me for wanting a remake of a turn based rpg to still be a turn based rpg. Cause god forbid a remake still be the same game. But no, this is exactly the same crap they've been pulling all along, working off of Final Fantasy VII nostalgia without really delivering on what those nostalgic fans want. No really, look at their history in recent years. It's pretty freaking heart breaking to be a final fantasy fan these days.... >.>

15. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually enjoy JRPGs and the old turn-based battle systems, though the random encounters and grinding to level up is super tedious in some of the older RPGs, but I'm fine with them updating the battle system to be more in line with modern RPGs.

The only PC FF port I have is III, since I don't like playing the games on my iPad and I don't own a DS. I hate the "updated" graphics of those DS ports, but III was the only one I didn't have in my library, so I picked it up when they had a Steam sale.

Even though I do a lot more of my gaming on PC now than I used to, I'll probably end up getting a PS4 eventually, so I'll probably just go with that version of the remake. I ended up buying a tube TV at a thrift store not so long ago, just so I could play my older FF games without my eyes bleeding (they do not look good in HD).

16. 741852963

Mixed feelings here:

Pros:
    -The battle system looks fun enough (similar to what is planned with 15). Like other commentators I do prefer the more traditional system (I liked the semi-hybrid "active" system in 12 which had movement mixed with traditional turn-based) but this looks fine. I hope there is an element of range bonus (so melee attacks do more damage the closer you get/range require you to be in line etc). As long as its not a Devil May Cry "bash things 1000 times to kill" it's OK with me.
    -I like that the music has a similar vibe in terms of instruments (sort of the digital accordion sound) to 7
    -I love the light catching on Cloud's buster sword, pretty cool

Cons:
    -Not wanting to sound like a graphics-whore (I don't think graphics are the be all and end all) BUT I don't think the character design is quite as nice as other FF games - it looks a little flat and cartoony compared to the excellent backgrounds. And Cloud's hair doesn't look as realistic as I know Square can pull off
    -Some of the character movements look a little unrealistic (the way they run/jump in action and cutscenes), again quite cartoony
    -The token fat joke character (wonder if he is playable?). I'm all for a bit of comic relief but meh, there is a balance.

---------- Post added 6th Dec 2015 at 07:45 AM ----------

I've actually never liked Cloud as a character, and yup, always thought the sword was silly looking. In 7 I liked all the characters bar Cloud and Cait Sith.

I'm not a fan of games bulking up male characters to ridiculous proportions (*Cough*GoW*Cough) BUT Cloud definitely needs bigger biceps to make that work! Maybe its a really light but strong aluminium though! :lol:

#16 741852963, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  17. Lazuri

Because turn based RPGs ARE dated relics and only ever existed because of limitations of the time. Action RPG combat is more popular and it's only natural to try to expand the audience instead of pandering ONLY to nostalgic fans, because this is a full remake and not just a remaster; it costs a LOT more to make a full remake like this and you want to get as many people to play and like it as possible without making it feel like a whole other game and Final Fantasy is more than its combat system. You're basically asking for the exact same game again, so go play it--it hasn't gone anywhere. Wasting resources to make the exact same game with neater graphics is a humongous waste and any developer who does it is stupid.

It's the same argument as all the old school Halo and Star Wars: Battlefront fans said about their respective sequels. If you just want the same goddamn game a second time, then just go play the old game. It's got all the gameplay you seem to want from the new version.

And for the record, the opinion on modern FF games isn't nearly as poor as people make it out to be and the complaints about the combat isn't because it's more of an action RPG but because it's trying to be both an action RPG and classic turn based and only manages to be garbage.

18. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No see, here's the thing. I'm not blind to what they are doing nor do I ignore the realities of the cost and effort it takes to make these games. All I am expressing is disappointment. I'm not suggesting that this will be a bad game, I'm saying that as a fan I am disappointed in this remake. It's so easy for you and others to say "just go play the original" because hey, you don't really give a fuck, you think this game looks cool and you want to defend it. And more power to you really. If you like what you see than great. But RPGs didn't exist as turn based because there were no other options, Action RPGs have been around just as long as turn based games in many varied forms. I'll concede, the battle system doesn't have to be the exact same, there have been many different variations on turn based systems over the years. Even this system as disappointed as I am about it isn't necessarily going to be a bad thing. I'm just displeased by it. But whatever, I don't know why I'm wasting my time defending myself to you. I'm just pissing against the wind...

19. mallix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i really want this game but don't want to buy a ps4.. if it's coming to PC i may just wait for that.

20. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's definitely gonna end up on other platforms. Don't fall for Sony's marketing ploys. Whenever they say something will come first to PS, it always means either timed exclusive or console exclusive. Look at No Man's Sky, Sony has been pushing that so hard in all of their presentations... And yet, the PC version (which is actually the platform the devs intended it for) is gonna release at the same time as the PS version. Give it time, soon enough the port(s?) will drop.

#20 RawringSnake, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015