1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fever sores and oral sex

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mazely, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Mazely

Mazely Guest

I frequently get fever sores and I recently became sexually active. I haven't performed oral sex yet, though because I'm concerned about fever sores. Obviously I know not to give oral while I actively have a sore, but do I need to worry any other time? The sores aren't caused by HSV-2, the virus that causes genital herpes. But I've never been tested for HSV-1, abother form of the herpes virus that is less serious and doesn't cause genital herpes. Does anyone else have any experience with this particular issue?

2. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes
    ALWAYS use a condom.
    ALWAYS
    No Exceptions

3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem with the herpes virus is that you can transmit it even when not having any symptoms. It is actually believed that the majority of the population carries the HSV-1 virus but that most of us are asymptomatic carriers which only mean that there is no visible symptoms and not that people can't transmit it.

The HSV-1 virus and the HSV-2 virus are actually not that different at all, they are the EXACT SAME virus they just stick to different nervous systems. HSV-1 likes the upper body and has very little stigma attached to it while HSV-2 prefers the lower part of the body and has a lot of stigma attached to it when really it is the exact same virus and same symptoms just in a different place.

You can transmit HSV-1 to your partner's genitalia. They would then not be HSV-2 carriers but HSV-1 ones but would still have the exact same symptoms as an HSV-2 carrier. HSV-1 isn't "less serious" it is just less stigmatized.

Condoms should be used to increase protection unfortunately they aren't 100% effective against HSV but if you also take treatment to reduce the probability of spreading the disease such as acyclovir and others you should be fine.

My biggest advice though is to talk to your partner. There are a lot of stigma attached to the herpes virus when really there are worth things out there. I would advise you to sit down with your partner and explain to him that as carrier of the HSV-1 virus there is a small risk that you might transmit it to him and explain to him in simple words what the symptoms could then be. If he has seen fever sores on you before then he is probably aware that you have HSV-1 but may not be aware that it can be sexually transmitted to his genitalia. Let him know without making a big deal out of it so he is aware of the risks but if he loves you it shouldn't really be a problem at all.

#3 Lin1, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  4. Mazely

Mazely Guest

I have spoken to her about it and she knows that it is transmittable. She has had past partners and i haven't so she is planning on getting tested before we do anything that could transmit something and until then we do have condoms and a pair of scissors so it'll be fine. I plan on going to the gynecologist soon and talking to them about it while I'm there for a check up. I was just curious to see if anyone else on here has any experience with this type of situation.