1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Female bisexual role models

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ChromeNerd, Jun 23, 2013.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I kind of suspect I'm bisexual. I hope I'm not. Part of the reason why I don't want to be bisexual is because I don't have any role models. Most of the out female bisexual celebrities I know about aren't what I would call role models.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How about Brenda Howard? Like, you know, the person who started the Liberation Marches we now call Pride...

Or MMA fighter Jessica Aguilar...

But I'm concerned that you don't want to be bisexual. It's awesome. I enjoy it very much. And I don't feel like I have any role models either.

At the risk of being corny, I'll tell you what others have told me on the chivalry forum I sometimes visit. Be your own hero. I'm sure you have a lot to give the world.

Yes, bisexuals are under-represented, and bisexual women in particular are either tokenized or questioned endlessly. But that's a function of patriarchy and how much it sucks. That's not bisexuality sucks.

#2 Pret Allez, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  3. LailaForbidden

Oh man. I feel you. This is a problem i've been having as well. There is one bisexual activist I know of named Robyn Ochs who says some pretty cool things. But I honestly don't know of many others...

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Amber Heard is a pretty awesome role model and she's beautiful. She came out at the GLADD Awards a few years back, and she was dating a woman at the time. However, she's dating Johnny Depp now. She played in Zombieland, The Step-Father (awesome movie and she was in a bikini most of the time :wink:) etc.

However, I totally agree with Pret Allez, be your own role model/hero. You never know who's going to look up to you one day.

#4 pinklov3ly, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  5. wanderinggirl

Pretty much the only bisexual I knew was a girl who said that she was bi because she was slutty (in her words, she would "fuck anything that moves". no seriously she said that.) so i didn't really identify with her. Currently my only queer friends are lesbian or gay, so I don't really have any bisexual role models either.

Anyways maybe you should just follow your heart for now and try to define yourself later. It'd be nice to have a role model with whom you can identify, but ultimately you are going to have to accept yourself first no matter what. That's a step i still struggle with, and it gets lonely sometimes, but it's worth it. I have confidence in you!!

6. Batman is swag

Megan Fox and Anne Frank are two big ones. Google it; you won't dissapointed. =)

7. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think Megan Fox is a good role model and there's no proof that Anne Frank was bisexual.

8. Amerigo

tila tequila...

9. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    She's even worse than Megan Fox...
    Why do so many out bisexual celebrities have to be brainless and plastic sluts?

10. Amerigo

why do people need role models? like, rely on them so heavily for like skills, then slate them whenever these celebrities (most often celebrities) decide to be themselves?

11. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I already explained that in my original post.

12. Amerigo

seems like a low-rated reason to demand a role model out of someone if you ask me. perhaps you can set the tone for how you'd like bisexual women to be. i'm sure you're capable of inspiring others, but most importantly, yourself :slight_smile:. break the mould! that's what i would do anyway.

13. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not even sure if I'm bisexual in the first place.

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you're being too hard on yourself, too focused on labels and their implications, like me. You should give yourself permission to experiment, identify, and take as much time as you need to make an honest decision, comfortably, since sexuality is a big thing. The "easy way" is to assume straight and never have the inconvenience of questioning, but not everyone has that luxury.

Now, this could be "denial" speaking, but I'm still not opposed to advances from and relationships (including sex) from women. In my mind, I'm still attracted to them, lack of experience with men aside, so I see no reason to write them off at all. I just have an urge to experiment with men, and I think if I had gotten the chance to do a bit with both sexes as a teenager, I'd be in a more comfortable place right now.

By the way, are you Hispanic?

15. Nemo39122

16. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes I am Hispanic. Why do you ask?

I want a label because I'm sick of being in the closet. I have tried staying in the closet until I know who I am for sure. It isn't working out for me so I'm trying to think of a solution.

#16 ChromeNerd, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With respect, sister, I think that if your requirement for a role model includes "not being a slut," you should reconsider that requirement.

18. Envira

I agree! and honestly, i haven't even been questioning myself or anything for that long. It's only been like a year and a half. maybe two years. but i'm sick and tired of all of this back and forth between the fact that i am romantically attracted to guys but yet i find their bodies to be rather odd and total turn-offs, but yet, i am completely attracted to girls. and somehow, i don't want to be attracted to guys at all. it's so confusing. and i'm tired of not knowing.

and wow. about there not being any good female bisexual celebrity role models. i have spent hours looking and there really aren't too many. like, at all. :frowning2:

19. karina

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i understand what you mean, we should not let other define who we are

20. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm just sick of all out bisexual women being like this. Why can't there be out bisexual women that are scientists, talented musicians, authors or anything else worthwhile. I can find plenty of gay and straight women like that. Just no bisexuals. :frowning2:

#20 ChromeNerd, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013