1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling nervous

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Rayland, Aug 30, 2022.

1. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone,

I'm slowly recovering from COVID, what came the worst possible timing, since I also started university. I won't be able to go in this week. What sucks, since usually the first weeks or so all the groups are being formed and people getting to know each other. We also have an online studyspace, where we introduce ourselves and I feel like I won't be fitting in. I need to keep reminding myself that we are all just students there and working towards the same goal, but I still feel nervous and this is problably just my anxiety or my perfectionist side giving myself a beat down.
    No one there is more superior than others, but I feel like I need to work even harder. I try not to give myself high expectations, but I do feel the pressure, because my classmates are all big shots in companies or teachers themselves and working and doing stuff and I feel inferior next to them. I often feel alienated from others, so I'm hoping that I will fit in. The only place I've felt accepted and belonging in is here in EC, since people here seem to think the same way I do.
    My cousin told me that I'm a nerd, but I feel like I wouldn't fit in with nerds either, because I feel like they wouldn't understand me.

Thank you for reading. I wanted to let my feelings out a bit. I don't know, if I will be having the energy to respond anyone right away, but will try. Thanks to COVID all of my energy levels are down.

Aeolia likes this.
  2. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    hope you're gonna recover soon

I wouldn't worry too much about missing first week of uni, tons of people quit or change path in the first few months and weeks of uni. It's easier to "hot plug" yourself into a circle than in high school since you don't belong to a class but to a whole year and won't be seeing the same people everyday.

Rayland likes this.
  3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you.

My university is small and in one course, there aren't too many people, like in bigger universities here, so I will be meeting same people, but it's true, that many may also discover that this course is not for them. I tend to worry too much about such stuff. I let the professors know, that I won't be in first week too and they were really nice and told me not to worry about it, since first week is introductions anyway. I was worried about it, because we also have many group projects ahead and finding people who want to be in a group with me. This is something that makes me anxious, since I wish to do well and not let myself down.

Aeolia likes this.
  4. Ebony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I know the feeling it is horrible since I am a artist I compare myself to everyone else. The thing is there is no point worrying about stuff like that cause you can’t do anything now and your cousin is a jerk.

Rayland likes this.
  5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you.

Oh and I don't think my cousin said that to be mean. It was said as a joke and I don't really mind being called a nerd either, but yeah it's hard not to compare yourself. I try telling myself that we are all unique and have our own talents, so I don't need to compare myself. I try and focus towards my own goals and my own individuality, what I'm trying to bring out more, but it's hard and I have loads of work to do on myself.