1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling lost and need some advice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Bumpledrum, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Bumpledrum

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So this is my first post. I am 29 and a lesbian. I am also married and have been with my wife for 7 years. She is a intricate part of my family and has been from very early on. I spent my whole life fighting who i was... Dating men when i knew i was gay and trying to dress in a manner to please and be accepted by my family that is exclusively women centric. When i met my wife i knew that hiding and secretly sleeping with women and never fully accepting my sexual orientation had to stop. And its been the best decision. But as our relationship progressed with her support i started branching out in terms of accepting my masculine side and found a comfort in my appreance and a confidence i never had. My mother and sister have been hard on me for my choices. Always making outright comments and always turning it into a joke about how i was the man in the relationship. I cut off my hair... Very short and now its worse than ever. Tonight i tried to express to my mom how much she was hurting me and how i hid for so long and it blew up into a full argument. I dont know how to handle this anymore. Someone please give me some advice

2. FootballFan101

I think you posted this on the wrong sub-fourm

3. Eolwen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think you can make them change their mind... Your family thinks they're doing what's best for you but I don't think they realise what you need. Maybe the best way for you to feel better is just to stop caring about what they say. You're not doing anything wrong, just expressing who you are. Maybe they will come to accept it in time but, in the meantime, I don't think you should try to please them. If you find the confidence to be completely yourself, they may see that there's no point in trying to make you change. But I don't think there's any rational way of making them see that.