1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling lonely

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mugitono, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Mugitono

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'll start off by saying that I'm an introvert, I love staying at home playing videogames alone in my bedroom but still I get jealous whenever I see a group of friends having a nice conversation and laughing together in High School.

This year I'm feeling lonelier than ever. The friends I had last year either don't talk or avoid me. I only have one friend (who I met like 6 years ago) and I don't really like being with him anymore...

I'd love to find new friends but it seems like everyone already has a circle of friends and whenever I try to join in I feel awkward and like I don't belong there. I used to be outgoing and friendly but now I'm the exact opposite. What should I do? Your advice would be greately appreciated!

2. WolfDane

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This was like reading about my teenage years =)

I was just like you. Became more of an introvert at a certain point in my life, but it took me a long time to accept that, so I envied those big groups of friends, going out all the time, and tried several times to be something I wasn't: an extrovert. I forced myself to go out and make new friends, but always felt bad and uncomfortable. It took me a while to understand I was going against my own nature and that's why it was always so awkward.

As soon as started to accept I was an introvert, my confidence started to show. There's a huge pressure in our society to be "social" and an extrovert, but there's nothing wrong with being an introvert (which many people still think it's the same as being shy).

After that, friends just started to come into my life without effort. I'm still the kind of guy that chooses quality over quantity, so my group of friends are small, but very close and amazing. I'm just picky when it comes to friends.

So, don't worry about it. Specially when you're still a teen. If you feel like staying home, then do it. Let yourself be ok with it. You'll be happier doing what you want and that's going to boost your confidence, which is something that attracts other people. Be natural.

Mugitono likes this.