1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Fashion designer Marc Jacobs uses dreadlocks - internet outraged

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Sep 16, 2016.

1. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't feel like I can comment on cultural appropriation because I'm white but.. I think it's really up to minority groups to decide what is appropriate and not appropriate for other cultures to "adopt" of their own culture. If someone tells me I'm doing something offensive to their culture, I'll stop doing it.

Honest to George (not Boy George), as a kid growing up in a very white area (with racist undertones for sure), I had to be taught things that you would think are common sense. I know this isn't cultural appropriation but for instance, I had to be taught that the N word is not just a word in the Helen Keller book and that black face is very wrong. Open dialogue with people who aren't white helps to create a more positive and safe place for PoC.

I do know most white people with dreadlocks have no intention of hurting others and are probably not aware at all about the cultural appropriation topic. Most black people probably don't have any issues with dreadlocks anyway. I hope dialogue remains open and we can be patient with each other with cultural appropriation because I know a lot of people mean well but make problematic choices by accident.

#21 midwestgirl89, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2016
  2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is bullshit. A lot of cultures don't tolerate LGBT people, do we have to condone that kind of discrimination because it has a cultural reason behind it? People of colour wear dreadlocks because it's a good style for their hairtype, they didn't "invent" it.

3. ChameleonSoul

I'm probably going to get so much shit for this but I feel like it's ridiculous to go about "cultural appropriation" such as this when they're are people of color being shot and killed in the streets due to racial profiling (which imho should be the main issue fought for right now). The way I look at this, the only thing that I see wrong with these dreadlocks are that they're made out of wool.