1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family won’t accept my dad as NB

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by CactiCat, Feb 20, 2019.

1. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So my dad came out as trans NB about 3 years ago. I was shocked and confused because I didn’t know what that meant, but they explained it a little and I did a little research so I understood. So my dad identifies as a feminine NB person and uses they/them pronouns, but my family still uses he/him. It’s hard on me because I know I should use they/them, but it feels awkward to be the only one. I’ve talked to my mother and her response was “I’m referring to him as he was in the past, and they isn’t proper grammar.” I explained that even if she is referring to them when they were male, she should still use they/them, but she still won’t. She says she’s trying but I can tell she’s making no effort what so ever. How can I convince my mom to use they/ they for my dad? If I can’t convince her, how can I find the courage to be the only one using the correct pronouns? Especially around grandparents that aren’t very accepting. I feel really bad about using he/him when it’s obviously incorrect. Side note, my parents have been divorced for 11 years now and we live in different states.

justme32 likes this.
  2. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think your dad would really appreciate it if you stuck to they/them pronouns, evem when the rest of your family disagrees. Yes, it’s awkward, but your dad knew they were taking a huge risk coming out and I’m sure they want nothing more than to be accepted for who they truly are. If you’re persistent then the rest of your familiy may come around, even if only reluctantly. If you’re struggling to overcome the feelings of awkwardness, consider the mental wellbeing of your dad, as every day of them being called “he/him” despite coming out is probably akin to a nightmare.

Reviskova and CactiCat like this.
  3. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do think it is a good idea, and like Atypical said, im sure your dad would appreciate it. However, i feel like when people are non-accepting, there is a time and place. if you believe around certain people it would cause arguments, distress (for your dad), or anger to happen, i would not recommend it. but if you want to really fight that fight id say go ahead. if you decide to do what is correct for your dad, remember, there is probably always going to be negative passing comments, insults, and even arguments. coming from personal experience. (however yours may be different)

as for convincing your mother, i dont think there is really anything you can do. sometimes people come around, learn to accept others for what they are. but on the other hand, sometimes that never happens. if you put pressure on your mom/the rest of your family acceptance will probably go at a slower pace. i have learned from talking to non accepting people who come around to accept me and others, and even people who were middle-ground, the change especially if it was sudden takes a long time to fully register. they sort of push it to the back of their brain because they either dont believe it, dont want to believe it, or think it is unimportant. in my experience, when i came out, it was very hard for my mother to register it and change her language, even though she is a very accepting person. change takes time.

CactiCat likes this.