1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook relationship status question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jam93, Jan 22, 2018.

1. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've recently started dating a guy, and since things are going pretty well I want to go ahead and make it "Facebook official" by changing my relationship status to show I'm "in a relationship" with him. The problem is that I'm not out to everyone on my friends list (certain older family members don't know) and for some reason relationship statuses don't have the "friends except" option. Is there some other way that I can do this without showing everyone? I know I can just post that I'm in a relationship without adding his name, but I'd prefer to say who I'm with if I can so that the friends who I am out to will know.

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you feel the need to make things 'facebook official'? Your relationship isn't any more valid because a couple strangers on Facebook can see that you're with someone. I don't really get it, everyone's in everyone else's business and it's like there's no privacy anymore. Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant. There isn't much else you can do other than just put it as 'In a relationship' without his name, your good friends will be happy to see and will ask you about it anyway, I'm sure.

3. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that making it "facebook official" doesn't make it more valid, that's not what I'm after. This is just an exciting development for me. I've never been in a relationship before, so now that I'm in one I feel like I want to share it. I know it woun't change anything, and that honestly most people won't care, but I still want people to know. Like you said, my good friends will care, and since not all of them live where I can regularly talk to them, Facebook is probably my best option to spread the news. I'll probably just end up switching to "in a relationship," and letting those who care ask. I just wanted to see if anyone here had any advice, figuring someone on this forum had probably dealt with something similar before, before, just incase there was a better option.

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Completely agree with this.

I'm also not "Facebook official" with my guy and we've been together almost three years.

As long as the people close to you know you're dating a guy, I wouldn't worry about being Facebook official.