1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eye contact: Does she like me a lot or hate my guts?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by sabrinaa, Feb 14, 2019.

1. sabrinaa

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I need help.

There is this girl and we always make eye contact. I'd say it's definitely a bit prolonged. I don't even have a clue if she is gay or not. I thought she liked me at first, why else would she return the eye contact? But she has NEVER said one word to me. Not even a "good morning" as you do with most people you pass in a workplace. I am super friendly! I would start the "good morning" but her face is never kind, always serious when she looks at me. Not super approachable. She always seems to return eye contact, but its with a very serious face. Never a smile. She is not the type to constantly smile, but I have seen her smile and joke with other people so I don't think she is a cold type of person normally.

I swear one time she passed me her fingers brushed against my but! I swear she passed by me and brushed up against me a few times when she had plenty of space! Other people give me plenty of space! I know this sounds like she likes me and it's obvious BUT!!! the other day I had a smile on my face and she gave me what felt like the coldest look! It felt mean. My intuition said that this was a mean stare.

Another thing that happened was one person working with her needed help with their group project and I came over. This could have been her opportunity to say something to me finally! BUT she did not! She did not even look at me! Her back was turned the entire time! And it felt intentional.

What are your thoughts? Does she like me? Or does she hate my guts! I thought she liked me, but recently I feel like she hates my guts. Why does she just ignore me! Why does she even return my gaze? Why look at someone you do not like? I'm really confused.

2. Really

Hi @sabrinaa

I wonder if she’s either in the questioning phase and wondering about your status (are you out at work?) and whether she could make friends with you or she’s out (to herself, at least) and also wondering about you. Ok. Now that I write that, I guess my only thought is that she’s wondering about you. Haha.

I’d say, bite the bullet and just start a conversation with her. It can be as little as passing the time of day and then go from there to more substantial topics like “have you tried that new sushi joint that just opened up next door?” And then just see where it goes from there. It could go nowhere but at least she might start behaving more predictably around you because she’ll properly know you now. :}

Good luck!

sabrinaa likes this.
  3. sabrinaa

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmmm good thoughts! Well, I'm not - not out at work. My closer coworkers know, but I don't make it known to other people. That being said, I feel like my gay vibes are pretty strong and I always wear my rainbow bracelet to make it easier to tell since I'm also fem, but on the tomboy side.

Yeah, you make a really good point. That is what I was thinking too. I'm just going to have to be brave and give it a shot! I just need to see how she responds when I say something simple. Just some sort of interaction, I think if I just talk to her I can get a better idea of how she might feel about me.

Thanks for your advice!!!

4. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    By halfway through I was going to say Of course she likes you, and then the rest of the way it was wtf? No wonder you can't decide. I mean, I often read "Does he/she like me?" here and the signs are all duh yeah. But not this time. Wow, tough one!

I'd go with what @Really said, anyway. Good luck!

5. grayman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's one way to find out for sure. I once knew a girl who said her way of trying to get a specific guy would be just sort of sitting near him or going into rooms he'd be in at work, not even necessarily making eye contact. She would just hope that the guy would talk to her and, from the way she described it she never even gave him any real provocation to do so.

Different people have different ways of "shooting their shot." For example, I'm not at all aggressive when it comes to meeting women. Pretty women, for some reason, will just sort of find way their way to me and always end up liking me for some reason. LOL I'm not complaining, but that's pretty much my game: let the pretty girl come to me and play it cool. It always works... Sometimes I'll be the one that's pursuing but I'm not out there like a lot of guys constantly hitting on girls at bars or making overt gestures at my coworkers or something.

So maybe this girl feels like she's making it obvious by looking over at you that she's interested.. you could chalk the scowl up to a lack of self-awareness. Or, maybe she's totally not interested and you're reading into things that aren't actually there. There's no way to honestly know what her intentions are because I'm not there to read the situation with you; your best shot is just to spark up a conversation and see where it goes.

6. Really

Cool! Let us know how it goes. :slight_smile: