1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exploring

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Natasha Elyssa, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Natasha Elyssa

So, I just joined my local Police Exploring post and I was hoping to be out, and it is a really small group so it seems like it would be perfect, but I'm scared to be out. College, social stuff, and now Explorers. Why do I feel so scared to be open about who I am? Is it because I'm fat? Is it because of my facial and body hair? Is it the way society has conditioned me? Is it because I fear discrimination? I mean, I've faced plenty of discrimination and self-hatred, so it's something I try to avoid at all costs. Sometimes I try too hard to be quiet, stand back, keep things to myself, etcetera. You know? And I'm liking my film classes in my school, and I'm liking the Explorers program. I like them for various reasons, mostly because I find them very interesting, but I also have a pretty decent chance at getting a career I like. One of the officers in charge of the post said that I could get into the police cadet program if I played my cards right. And I also see many promising things with film. And there's so much more that I want to try/learn/do, but what concerns me is when will my fear end? I honestly feel that if I don't do sonething now, I'll stay in this purgatory forever. I feel like I need to change, or it won't ever happen. And what will happen if I do become a police officer? Or a filmmaker? Or any number of things? I need to make strides now, or I'll never be able to do anything to make myself truly happy. I can't delay this, for my heart and soul needs this, however I can't. There's always self-fear, leading to a life-block, that always gets in the way. And so I ask, when will it change?