1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exploring my gender identity after accepting my sexual orientation: Advice on gender expression

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Wintr21, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Wintr21

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am afab and have recently come out as queer/lesbian. I grew up in a religiously conservative family and learned from a young age that same sex attraction was "sinful." Looking back I realized that as soon as I began to experience sexual attraction, I have always been attracted to women. I didn't realize that some of the admiration I felt towards other girls was actually me feeling crushes. By the time I got to high school, my attraction towards women became so apparent that I felt a great deal of distress because I had been taught that it was "wrong." I eventually dated cishet men, married a cishet man, and had children. My same sex attraction of course didn't go anywhere, but I found ways to repress or invalidate my feelings towards women. The pandemic made me question everything about my life, and led me to come out as lesbian/queer.

Accepting my sexuality has also led me to re-examine my relationship to gender. As a young child, I strongly identified as a boy. During pretend play with my siblings, I exclusively played boy characters. I hated wearing stereotypical girls clothing and secretly hoped that I would be perceived as a boy by others. I remember trying to stand up to urinate, attempting to wear baggier clothes, and wanting to play with boys. I was frequently told by my parents, other family members and other children and adults in my life that I wasn't "a boy." I was scolded for playing with "boy toys." I was frequently told that I needed to sit more "lady like."

As I got older, but before I started puberty, I felt okay with sometimes appearing feminine and wearing dresses and other stereotypical girls clothing, but I became more of a tomboy. I didn't feel like a boy anymore, but I didn't feel completely like a girl. For example, I hated wearing bathing suits and leotards for gymnastics. I preferred wearing longer shorts and t-shirts to gymnastics and didn't understand why I couldn't participate in the gymnastic activities assigned to boys (pommel horse, rings, etc.). I do remember having some crushes on boys during elementary school and middle school, but I just never appeared "girly." While my sisters were experimenting with nail polish, makeup, different hair styles and high heeled shoes, I just never cared about participating in these activities with them.

Once puberty hit and my secondary sex characteristics became more prominent, I suffered from severe dysphoria. I panicked when I got my first period because it meant that I was becoming a woman. I hated that my chest was no longer flat and that my breasts had developed. I remember attempting to bind my chest (without having a full awareness of what I was doing) by wearing two bras, and somehow my parents found out and became extremely upset because they must have understood that I was trying to make my chest look flatter. I hated receiving unwanted attention from boys (and perveted adult men) because of my curves. I was so unhappy with my appearance because I was beginning to be treated differently by my peers and by society because I looked like a girl/woman.

Fast forward to high school and college, my gender expression became more gender conforming because I wanted to fit it. I went from wearing baggier and athletic clothes to wearing more form fitting outfits and makeup. I appeared more feminine, but it always felt like I was pretending. I learned to dress in a feminine way for work and in my day to day life, but I continued to feel uncomfortable wearing dresses or skirts.

I now identify as a woman, but as I have learned more about sexual orientation and gender, I am beginning to wonder if I was trans or at least gender expansive as a child. I do not feel connected to masculinity at all, but sometimes feel as if I have no gender. I am okay with being read as a woman and identity with women's issues because I am impacted by them, but I still have moments where I am very uncomfortable with my curves and gender. I know that I am not a man and have no desire to be one, but I feel like I identify as a woman because I was assigned female at birth. During pregnancy and postpartum, I did feel extremely connected to my female gender identity, but outside of those time periods I don't really understand how it feels to be a gender.

I want to begin exploring my gender identity, but I don't even know what this means. Do I want to dress more androgynously? Do I feel like I am non-binary? I also feel scared to begin to express my gender in a different way because I received so many negative messages when I did not conform to the binary. I want to live more authentically and accept all of me, but it feels hard when I have learned to hate myself and pretend to be someone else.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is good to start with small things. Sometimes there are things that others cannot notice but you can be aware of. For example, I were boxers at first, it was something that I knew but nobody else really noticed. I also would dress more masculine while I was at home until I felt comfortable enough wearing things outside. The thing to remember is that you can take all the time that you need to explore things, there is no time limit. It generally is easier if you start with small changes and as you become more comfortable with those you can more on to other things if you feel you want to continue experimenting.