1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expectations of parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Destin, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has bothered me for a while and I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me some guidance on what to do even though I'm new here.

So I guess I'll start by saying my family is pretty abnormal. My dad works all the time and always has since he really loves his job because he helps people feel better medically and so he just nonstop works to help as many people as he can every day. I have siblings but they are all either adopted or physically/mentally disabled, so not exactly a normal situation. Its always mostly just been my mom taking care of everyone, and she cares so much about our family but is super controlling to protect everyone. I had the best childhood possible because of her and she has spent most of her adult life taking care of us, we have always had everything we needed and are blessed that money will never be an issue due to my dad's job. The thing is like I said I'm the only biological child who isn't disabled so pretty much the entire future of my family is based on me having kids. My mom has made me aware of this many times. I died twice right after I was born but turned out ok so she believes god saved me to continue our family and calls me her miracle child. But... she doesn't know I'm not straight and I have a boyfriend.

I know it will totally destroy her to find out, and my family is really religious so already don't like gay people in the first place. She wants me to have children so badly so she knows her family is safe and will continue into future generations, and that can never happen with a guy other than adoption, which wouldn't continue the family biologically. When I got my first serious girlfriend at 16 my mom straight up told me I could bring her over to our house to have sex whenever I wanted and asked me not to use condoms so I could father a child for our family, that's how much she wants this.

I tried to tell her I have a boyfriend a few weeks ago but she got so mad really fast and was yelling at me asking why I wanted to destroy her family by choosing to be gay and I got so scared I stopped and made up a really awful lie that hurt my boyfriend to get her to stop and to convince her I was actually straight still. I don't want to hurt her with the truth but I won't be able to give her a grandchild and be with the guy I love at the same time. She always asks me about girls and I don't have the heart to tell her that I like guys more than girls, so even if things don't work out this time I'd probably still end up with a guy anyway one day now that I know I feel that way.

I don't know why I have to choose between my family and my feelings - I've always tried to be a good person so why is god doing this to me. Why couldn't my biological brother not be disabled so he could have a child to make my mother happy and I could be with whoever I want without hurting her. She has given me everything and all she wants in return is to know the family she built will continue with a grandchild, I don't know how I can deny her that without being a terrible son. I could just get a girl pregnant and break up after I guess, but that feels so wrong to me. If I have a kid I need to be there for them and can't just leave after they are born, that wouldn't be right.

I'm so confused about this and it just hurts knowing the only way I can make my family happy is denying how I feel inside and just doing what my mom wants.

2. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so sorry to hear your mom is giving you a hard time with this. Perhaps she feels that since your bisexual you'll still have a chance to be with a woman and father children. I've dealt with a similar struggle for most of my life, being the only boy cousin on my dad's side of the family, so there's been a lot of pressure to carry on the family name (until my little cousin who is also a boy was born).

If your mom seems persistant about biological grandkids, even if you wind up with a guy, you could always have a child via surrogacy. That way the child is still biologically related to you. Except, it would be you and your male partner raising the kid, not you and the mother. Adoption isn't the only way to have children in an LGBT relationship.

You should keep in mind though, some states don't allow surrogacy for LGBT couples, and the process can get very pricey. I would do some research to explore all of your options.

Here are some links I found on the tobic of surrogacy for gay couples:
    1. https://www.gayparentstobe.com/for-gay-men/surrogacy/
    2. http://www.ihr.com/infertility/surrogacy/gay-parent-through-surrogacy.html
    3. https://surrogate.com/about-surrogacy/types-of-surrogacy/can-lgbt-couples-pursue-surrogacy/
    4. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.slat...doption_and_surrogacy_raises_tough_moral.html

#2 BothWaysSecret, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Destin likes this.
  3. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Destin-

I’m the only boy out of 7 children and was also expected to carry on the family name. I tried to convince myself that I could be straight for my entire life. Now I’m 52 and just coming out. What I’ve learned from a life of misery is to be as kind as you can, but you don’t owe anyone anything. Be true to yourself- if you are gay then be gay. You cannot be something you don’t feel (well you can try like I did and be miserable). By not giving your mother a grandchild, you are not being ungrateful, nor does it mean you love her less- it means you choose to be who you are. Yes, you could get someone pregnant or have a surrogate baby, but if that’s not truly what you want, don’t do it- that’s no reason to bring a child into this world.

You sound like a great person- stop beating yourself up over something like this. I do not want to disrespect your mother, but your mother’s intentions are off. She should be happy for you and whatever you choose in life as long as it’s not hurting people. Whether or not you choose to come out again to your mother is your choice, but you can ask her to quit bringing up grandchildren because it’s unfair pressure.

My last point is religion. I believe in God, I don’t believe in religion/churches. I feel God wants us to be kind, generous and not judgemental. God made us and he made me gay... I didn’t pick my sexuality, it picked me. Do people honestly think we want to be gay because we thought it would be an easy life? Christ, I’ve hidden from myself, lived many years being miserable, attempted suicide, struggled to be accepted... since I’ve come out I finally have a chance at love, happiness and companionship!!!! Live your life by being true to yourself!!!

Good luck, and your boyfriend is lucky to have someone as caring and thoughtful as you are!!!

Markster, Zlata, MHJG and 3 others like this.
  4. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually feel this a lot. I'm not out to my family yet but with only a sister I kind of feel the obligation to carry on the family name with biological kids and what not.

I know it's a shitty situation, but you've got to try to not beat yourself up over it. Obviously no offense to your Mom, but you're in college right? College isn't exactly a time to worry about making babies. I have two cousins that just had babies recently so I understand parents having baby fever and wanting grandchildren...but your needs come first. I completely feel wanting to give your mom grandchildren and not wanting to hurt her, but you need to focus on what's best for you.

Best of luck man, and we're all here for support if you ever need :slight_smile:

Destin likes this.
  5. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone - its so great to have people to talk to about things like this and know I'm not the only one. Yea I'm in college so this is so not the best time to be having kids anyway. She even wanted me to make a grandchild when I was only 16 so she doesn't really care though, building a family was the most important thing to her so she wants it to be most important for me too.

That stuff about surrogacy is really interesting - thanks for those links, for sure something to think about.

#5 Destin, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    BothWaysSecret likes this.
  6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can imagine the difficulty of what you're experiencing. One of the real challenges is in understanding that even though your parents have absolutely tried their best within their own abilities to provide a perfect upbringing for you... they have actually fallen short substantially through the controlling behaviors and your father's extreme attention to the needs of others at the expense of his own family. I say this not to upset you, but simply to point out that almost none of us really have the perfect upbringings we think, but because we've never had the opportunity to experience anything else, we believe our experiences are "normal". This is no way is intended to devalue the efforts your parents have made to do everything for you, but to point out the issue: look at her statement that you are somehow "destroying her family". This is a mistaken notion, in that it is your life you are living, not your mother's. Her over-identification with you, and attempts to control you are not healthy either for you or for her, and at some point, you will, whether over this issue or others, have to set boundaries with her... and that will be very, very difficult, as it sounds like she externalizes her happiness through controlling other people's behavior.

Also, for what it's worth... in spite of convincing your mother that you're totally straight and don't have a boyfriend, the seed is nonetheless planted. When someone goes through the process of dealing with loss (in this case, loss of perception of her son as straight, and perhaps also the loss of her son as someone who can provide grandchildren), there are stages they go through: denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance. From what Niagara has said, it sounds like she clearly got into the denial and anger phases. Your handling of the situation was likely the only reasonable option for survival at that point, and though it was extremely hurtful, it was probably the lesser of two evils in that moment. Nonetheless... your mother, though comfortably in denial, nonetheless likely knows the truth deep down.

I'm not telling you this to suggest you do anything different in the immediate, but to say that as this information (even though denied) continues to percolate through her unconscious, it will likely continue to impact how she thinks about things. And it is possible, even likely, that at some point in the future -- maybe 6 months, maybe 2 years -- she will come around to accept and understand that you are likely to end up with a guy and not a girl.

Also, in practical terms, BothWaysSecret took the words out of my mouth... surrogacy is increasingly popular among gay couples, and there are formal and informal arrangements. Increasingly, gay and lesbian couples are working out arrangements together to have kids and co-raise them, or for one of the females to informally surrogate for the male couple, in exchange for the male couple inseminating the female couple for their own child. Lots of options here to make your mother happy, but what's crucial is that you have or adopt a child because you want to, not because you feel an obligation to your mother. Regardless of how she frames it, that isn't something that she has a right to demand from you.

It's good you are thinking about these things and talking about them. The more you have time to explore your own feelings, the easier it will be to establish your own thoughts, set your own boundaries, and live the life that you want to live, not one being dictated by someone else. The more you continue talking about these and other issues, the more you'll understand the options available to you. :slight_smile:

Destin likes this.
  7. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see what you mean about not actually having the perfect childhood, but I can't really blame them for it when I think of myself in their shoes. Yea it would have been nice to have my dad around more, but when he has seen people who really need help every day for his whole career and some of them might literally be dead the next day when he comes back if they are really sick (he spends a lot of time treating emergency room patients) it would be so hard for him to just walk away and come home knowing he could have done more for them. I know his worst fear is a patient of his dying just because he didn't stay at work long enough that day. I can't be mad at him for that. When I was younger I got upset with him about it once because he could never come to my school events like the other dads. I could tell he felt guilty about it but he tried to explain to me that his job is making sure other people's parents who are sick will get better so they can spend time with their kids too. I could never be upset with him again once I thought of it like that.

With my mom, her dream job is being a mother. Some people always knew they wanted to be a firefighter or whatever, and she always knew she wanted to be a stay at home mom for a big family. She is controlling and obsessive for sure, but how else could she make sure 5 kids , including two that are very disabled, would be safe and taken care of? I think she called it "her family" because she pretty much did all the family stuff herself with my dad at work all the time. Once she realized it wasn't safe to have more biological kids because me and my brother both almost died at birth already, she wanted to adopt kids in need of a loving home instead. She even purposely picked ones from different countries and races so we would grow up exposed to other cultures and not discriminate against people who are different than us. Yea - I know her not liking gay people for religious reasons kind of goes against that and is hypocritical though. She spent every day bringing us all to our schools and activities, friends houses, cooking us food, helping with homework and all that stuff so we could enjoy being kids.

I know its my life not hers but when I think about all she did for us and all she wants in return is a grandchild it feels terrible to think I might not ever be able to do that for her after all she did for me. How can I blame her for being upset that her only chance at that might be gone because she had the bad luck to end up with the only child able to give that to her ending up gay? She might even think its her fault somehow and that she made me this way without meaning to.

I hope she does accept me one day - but I'm so scared she won't and she will hate me for being this way and being the reason she can't have any more kids to help raise like she wants to. The surrogacy thing would be a way to give her the biological grandchild she wants... but it might not stop her from hating me for being gay anyway. That's what I'm most afraid of.

21zephyr likes this.
  8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At the risk of making you uncomfortable (because 'uncomfortable' is where we grow), I'll give you a bit more to think about. I totally get your dad's dedication to his job. It's admirable. But what if I turn the tables: What he's essentially said to you is "I care more about people I don't know that I'm treating at the hospital than I do about my own family." There are plenty of emergency medicine doctors and nurses who manage to balance their home lives and their work lives. The fact that he didn't, if I were to analyze it, is probably because he is at some level trying to prove something to someone (often a parent, even if the parent is deceased) out of a sense of shame. If he really, really cared so much about his work... then he should not have made the decision to have a family. It's really not fair to have kids and then say "the people at work are more important than the people I've brought into this world." It's an enormous disservice to the kids, because there are other emergency physicians who can cover... but there aren't other dads that can be there at their kids' events. And that loss of attention actually has a subtle but enormous impact on the kids. It says "You aren't important enough for my attention".

Likewise, there are plenty of stay-at-home moms who have special needs kids. Actually, a friend of mine grew up in a household where his brother was severely autistic, and his parents were fostering several other severely autistic kids. Mom and dad both worked, but managed to take outstanding care of all the kids, and set reasonable but not controlling boundaries. "keeping you safe" is often a euphemism for "I want complete control over you." And "keeping kids safe" also often means sheltering them from learning from their own mistakes. And finally, her selflessness in taking care of all of you wasn't really healthy either for you or for her. Again, it externalizes her self-worth so that she views her entire value as a human being from her "work" rather than simply for being a good and loving person.

Again, I'm not trying to rip on your parents, only to give you a different, more distant perspective. Most people grow up with parents who have reasonable boundaries, and understand the importance of work/life boundaries, and their own personal boundaries. It seems that both of your parents, in different ways, struggle with these boundaries. The impact that has on you, in terms of your ability to feel and express emotions, your own sense of self, the unreasonable guilt and sense of obligation you feel... these are things that in the long term have enormous downsides for you. And interestingly, these things tend to pass on generationally, from parent to child to grandchild to great-grandchild. So often, things that appear to be genetic, because they are passed down, are actually behavioral, since the behavioral traits tend to also be passed down. (If this topic interests you, there's an amazing book called "The Body Says No" by Gabor Maté MD, that I highly recommend. An interesting and engaging read.)

So in a way, you're already making the decision to live your own life by loving the person you love. And that is absolutely awesome, even though I am sure it is in some ways terrifying. You'll have other decisions to make involving doing what's best for you vs. playing into the orchestra of guilt performed by your mother. There are no absolute right or wrong answers, and yet I think you'll ultimately be happiest if you can learn to understand the factors at play, set appropriate boundaries, and stick to them. Easier said than done, and it will undoubtedly cause discomfort (controlling people generally have no boundaries and hate it when other people try to set them). And yet, past the discomfort is the opportunity to break the cycle that has likely been handed down for generations, so that if and when you do have your own children, you won't contribute to them the problems that have been passed on to you.

You can't control whether your mother accepts you for being gay. (By the way... you said "gay" first... and I think you're probably right...) But you can live your life, be understanding and accepting of the limitations she has, which are a byproduct of her own upbringing. You can do your best to treat her with compassion, and I think that when you do, it will be hard for her to remain angry. At least, based on what we've seen here at EC over the years, the overwhelming majority of parents who are vehemently against their child being gay ultimately come around to acceptance.

I encourage you to continue thinking and talking about this (and any other issues that are coming up for you.) It's the best way to work through the feeilngs.

#8 Chip, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey I'm sorry your mom isn't accepting of gay people, but hopefully she'll come around as most do. Something I've thought about regarding parents is that they chose to have kids and should have been aware of the risk that the kids may not turn out the way they envisioned. You didn't choose to be born, that was totally out of your control. She's putting you under very unreasonable pressure especially at your age and not even married. Your mom is responsible for her response to life around her, not you. It would be cool if people had to pass a test or some education about having a child. Part of it would drill into them that they have to accept the possibility that their child may be LGBT and there's no guarantee of grandkids. Parents who put pressure about grandkids are kinda ridiculous and need to back off. What's the big deal about one's genes living on? Really get over that basic idea. It really doesn't matter in the big picture.

Have fun in college, enjoy these years, get your degree and a job and make your life what you want it to be as best you can. Come out as gay later if you want to. For now you can be firm that having kids is your choice and her pressure is unreasonable and to drop the subject. Again, she chose to have kids and should have accepted as part of that choice that she's going to be disappointed at times. If she didn't realize that was going to happen at some point she was naive I guess. Personally I wouldn't bring a kid into this quickly deteriorating world as I think it's cruel and unfair the child doesn't have a say in the matter. Use that as a reason you're not sure about having kids. Tell her the choice is up to you and your future spouse to make and if you decide to have kids it won't be until you have the money and dedication to do so. Far too many people are irresponsible about having kids and you're not going to be one of those statistics. I wish you the best and hope you use logic and reason to not feel guilty about this in any way because if you look at the facts, you have nothing to fee bad about. Take care!

Destin likes this.