1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever had a relationship that played a hand in you changing your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Mrs Cypher, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Mrs Cypher

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    After recent drama, I was reminded of my first 2 boyfriends and how bad being in a relationship with them was. They were not good for me, and after I just decided to be a lesbian from then on. I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else.

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had bad experiences in past relationships.

I do believe it’s possible for a negative experience with one gender to help towards the realisation that your true attractions are for another gender (or genders). So, I was in a long term relationship with a man, which was mostly a bad experience, but elements of that experience did help me to realise that I have no sexual attraction towards men. This was not a decision though, it was a realisation that I came to over time.

However, it’s not possible to change a person’s inherent sexuality. If it was, then anyone could choose to change their sexuality. So, for me, whilst the way that I identified changed, my sexuality stayed the same. I had always been a lesbian, but it wasn’t something that I was consciously aware of until my late twenties.

It is possible, after a bad experience with one gender, to then seek relationships with people of other genders. However, that wouldn’t mean that the person’s inherent sexuality had changed. Therapy might be helpful here in working through and coming to terms with those past negative experiences.

BiGemini87 and Mrs Cypher like this.
  3. Mrs Cypher

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That is....a very good way of looking at things actually. Maybe I could've worded my situation a bit better though, cause looking back at it, I do think it's more of a realization that I don't like men, and am just a lot more comfortable with women.

BiGemini87 and LostInDaydreams like this.
  4. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don’t worry about it. Posting on the forum and bouncing off other posts, can really help with clarifying what’s going on. It was a huge help to me when I was questioning and coming to accept my sexuality.

Congratulations on this realisation! :slight_smile:

BiGemini87 and Mrs Cypher like this.