1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurovision

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Bolt35, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is anyone keeping track of eurovision this year? I got no one to talk with and I thought last year had some sweet competition and I'm psyched to see that an idustrial band is in one of the countries represented this year! who are you going for if you guys watch it

2. Loves books

I havent seen any of the entries for this year. I have to support my country so I want Ireland to win. I don’t think we will win because the competition is a popularity contest now and all the countries vote for their neighbors. We havent Won in years. One year we actually entered a turkey puppet from a kids show. Another year we entered a pair of twins the whole country made fun of for months before we entered them. Last year out entry was banned from being shown in China because the two male dancers were obviously portraying a gay couple. We are doomed.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have seen a few of the entries and will need to see more before being able to make up my mind.

Aadmittingly I miss the Eurovision of the 1990s and early to mid 2000s. In the early, 1990s the rivalry between Ireland and the United Kingdom was great to watch because back to back both tried to win it, with Ireland winning on the last jury votes. My all time favourite Eurovision entry is Rock 'N' Roll Kids by Paul Harrington and Charlie McGettigan winning it for Ireland in 1994. The last Eurovision that I watched in full was in 2015, when Mans Zelmerlow won for Sweden.

4. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yea I'm definitely keeping track of eurovision more often, it looks like a pretty good competition, i do agree that the voting system needs a bit more work though
    Ireland has a solid song this year, I read about that "controversial" ban from china and i got fed up *jigglypuff mad face*

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, the voting system is not the best. That said, Eurovision always struggled with the voting; aside from 'popularity votes,' it always struggled to some degree with geopolitical voting even with jury voting. In the good old days, Cyprus and Greece would always exchange the highest marks, no matter how good or bad the song was. The Scandinavian countries always gave some points to each other. It's a bit weird that the EBU has adopted a voting system along the lines of Sweden's Melodiefestivalen.

6. Loves books

It gets annoying watching when each country reads out who got their top votes because you can guess who will get their judged by who their closest to. Ireland won the Eurovision more times than any other country and will probably never win again. We also have a lot of polish and Lithuanians over here all voting for their country. If Australia can vote all the Irish over there might be able to help. I hope we make the final.

7. TaraKitt

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I listened to all the songs a couple of days ago and sadly it seems like one of the weakest fields ever. Last year their were about five great tracks at least, this year I don't see any of these songs entering my playlist.