1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empty Closets Music Competition #2

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paul_UK, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Would you like to win a cool book about the history of gay cinema? Do you want to impress other Empty Closets members with your knowledge of film music? If so read on!

Below you will see a YouYube video. Inside this video you will hear 14 brief songs which were chosen by EC staff. Each song is from the favorite movie of one EC staff member. Your job is to not only identify the song and artist but also the movie it is from and identify which staff member chose that movie.

The Songs

[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cNQ4XzZijWI[/YOUTUBE]

The Staff Involved

• Asteroid
    • Beckyg
    • Behling
    • Biisme
    • Davo-man
    • Hln D
    • Invisible
    • Lexington
    • Martin
    • Paul_UK
    • pirateninja
    • SteamGiant
    • TriBi
    • Vampyrecat
    Obviously not in that order!

How To Enter

This is an example of what your answers should look like:
    • 1 - Make Your Own Kind Of Music - Mama Cass - Beautiful Thing - Paul_UK
    The format is "song number" - "song title" - "artist/band" - "movie" - "staff member"

Remember that you are matching the song to the movie and then the movie to the staff member. It is the staff member's favourite film, not their favourite song.

Your answers will be marked using the following points system:

• Correct title = 1 point
    • Correct artist/band = 1 point
    • Correct movie = 3 points
    • Correct staff member = 5 points
    So there is a maximum of 10 points available per song and 140 points available in total.

Please post all entries in the Ask The Staff section and name the thread "Music Competition".

The winner will be the first person to answer all questions correctly, or the member with the most points at the end of the competition. In the event of a tie the first winning entry received will receive the prize.

If you enter more than once your last entry will be counted and earlier entries will be deleted. So you are welcome to have another go if you think you can do better later.

None of the EC staff will give you any clues, and you will not know how many points your entry obtained until after the competition is over.

The competition closes at 18:00GMT on Sunday 14th December. The results and correct answers will be announced within a few hours of closing.

The Prize

The winner will receive a copy of the excellent new book Out at the Movies: A History of Gay Cinema kindly donated by the author, Steven Paul Davies. More information about the book is available on the author's website here.

[​IMG]

The prize was arranged and will be posted by Paul_UK.

If the winner does not want the prize (perhaps because of the problems of receiving a gay related book in the post) it will be offered to the person coming second. If he/she also does not want it then it will be offered to the person coming third. If they also do not want it then it will be held over for another competition. The recipient can of course choose to have it posted elsewhere such as a school library, charity, friend or another EC member. There is no cash alternative.

The winner will be contacted shortly after the closing date by PM. He or she will then have 5 days to accept the prize and supply a postal address, or to decline it and let it pass to the next person in the chain. If there is no reply after 5 days we will assume it is declined.

And Finally...

Please DO NOT post your answers or anything about the songs etc here. We don't want to give any clues.

Good luck!

2. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Cool competition idea! I'd like to enter but my next few days are busy as hell. I'll try and do it sometime next week. :grin: Better start spying on all the staff now!

3. tm74

tm74 Guest

Question: if a song is sung by a character in the movie, do you want the name of the character or actor/actress that sung it?

4. pirateninja

The actual person who sang it, not the character.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

You've got a fortnight to do it in, and we'll be posting reminders as the end date gets close.

Use the forum search! :thumbsup: Some of us have mentioned our films, lead actors/actresses from them or our songs in posts here at some point in the past (I've mentioned mine at least twice). But some have never mentioned them at all.

None of us will mention them while the competition is running though, as that gives unfair advantage to those who enter later.

6. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't do it!!! :frowning2: Youtube's blocked at school. :frowning2: (I'm at boarding school)

:tears:

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Can you access PhotoBucket OK? If so I can put it on there too.

8. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah but I think the school computers don't have the right adobe or something weird like that... :frowning2: ah well... *sigh* maybe the next one.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I'll upload to PhotoBucket anyway and you can try it. Give me 20 minutes or so.

If that doesn't work I can put the MP3 on the Empty Closets server, but you won't have the picture with the song numbers so will have to count through them.

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

11. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

All I Gotta Say Is Great Musical Taste Guys!

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

How's everyone doing? We haven't had any entries yet, though I know it's still early days.

13. MattyPatty

I have no idea what half of these are xD

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Well put in an entry with the ones you do know (putting the lyrics in Google helps) and have a guess at the staff members. :thumbsup:

You may still get more points than anyone else and win! :icon_wink

15. Cheese Love

Oh my god I LOVE the second song soooo much!!!!
    (And the movie it's from, obviously)

Sorry, just thought I'd share :lol:

16. SamAlex728

Good suggestion, Paul, but with nearly half the songs, it is extremely difficult to make out enough lyrics to get any helpful results.

17. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Oh yes, some of them are difficult but there are also some easier ones in there. We wanted to give a good balance and it's worked out that way from the songs and movies people chose.

Just start on those you can make out and find answers to and see how you get on. Then put in an entry with the best you can do. You never know, it could be the best score, or if you're 2nd or 3rd you could still get the prize if those above don't want it. :thumbsup:

There is still a week to go, so plenty of time.

18. Cheese Love

Quick question... Are you able to share what was the score of the previous winner?

Just trying to see how far people usually get :]

19. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  20. SamAlex728

Less than 17 hours left *is getting anxious*