1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emphasis on sexuality labels, the issues of semantics, fluidity of sexuality, etc.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Reptillian, Jan 21, 2013.

1. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

Re: Emphasis on sexuality labels, the issues of semantics, fluidity of sexuality, etc

I prefer to use the term "erotic" attraction rather than simply sexual orientation. To me, erotic attraction relies heavily on visual and "smell" stimuli. For example, you notice a hot guy in public. You are visually processing all of it and without you realizing it you are getting turned on by sexual thoughts of him. It could be his smell or 6 pack that is doing it. I feel erotic attraction towards a gender or genders is relatively stable and doesn't change for most people. Emotional attraction may actually lead to some form of arousal outside your erotic orientation. Theoretically a gay guy could develop an emotion bond with a girl and over time develop into something that may lead it to becoming more "physical." Also, a gay guy could engage in sexual behavior with a girl and be turned on by the sensation of the act itself. He wouldn't find the girl to be "erotic" but could enjoy the sensation and pleasure of the act. Sexual behavior in that way can be quite flexible, but what we find erotic, hot, and sexual can be quite rigid.

2. SeerOfHeart

Re: Emphasis on sexuality labels, the issues of semantics, fluidity of sexuality, etc

I feel like labels are there as a way to help us understand each other. Not everyone thinks- or feels- the same way, so it's a more universal method of connecting to each other more easily. They shouldn't necessarily define you for yourself, but there's no harm in using them to try to help others understand you better.