1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Embarrassment with sexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sealgirl19, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Sealgirl19

Are there anyone here that's a "late bloomer"? Someone who recognized their sexuality a little later in life (20's, 30's, 40+)?

Did you feel a little embarrassed in the beginning with being true to how you feel and if so how'd you come to terms with yourself?

2. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew I was gay in my teens but lived in a state of constant denial about it. I told myself it was just a phase I'd grow out of eventually, but that never happened. I didn't really start to accept it until my 20s and didn't start coming out to people until a few years ago. For me I think it was a mixture of growing up in a staunchly conservative community, the constant homophobia spewed by my dad, and being uncomfortable with sexuality in general because of abuse when I was young.

What helped me through all that was my mom, who was supportive of me since I first came out to her, finding a circle of friends who are open and accepting, getting some therapy to help with the abuse issues, and finally moving away from the conservative area I grew up in. It wasn't easy and at times it seemed hopeless, but there was a light at the end of the tunnel. I feel so much better about myself than I did ten years ago.

3. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm definitely a late bloomer. I only figured it out earlier this year, at 23 years old. At first I was shocked and relieved as I could finally put a name to what I was going through, but also couldn't believe that I was not straight like I had thought for all of my life.

Was I embarassed that I hadn't figured it out sooner? Yes. Despite finally realizing myself, I was also trying my damndest to be fully straight. I just couldn't accept that I wasn't straight. I had no problems with the LGBT community prior to this, I just never thought I'd be a part of it.

I just eventually embraced it. I realized I found men and women sexy and couldn't give up feelings for either. I think what also helped me was that everyone that I came out to was extremely supportive.

I'm much happier now than when I first realized, but I still have a long way to go.