1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Cars

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Jul 12, 2018.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you feel about electric cars? I heard a news report this morning that suggested young people are more receptive to the idea of owning/driving electric cars than their parents and grandparents.

We have a lot of young members here, so I just wondered what you all think. Would you trade in a gas guzzler for an electric car? Could your next car (or first car) be powered by electricity?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I'm fairly ignorant and not really sure why someone would be super opposed to having an electric car? Besides them being more expensive.

I really doubt that generating that electricity (no matter the source; besides coal) could really be worse than burning gas. Just got to remember that pretty much every source of electricity will cost the environment in some way or other, just some less than others.

3. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’d have to learn more about them. I’d love to believe that they are less toxic to the natural environment than a combustion engine, I just have to question that. Thinking about production, lifespan and recycling.

Since I don’t think I’ll have the purchasing power in the near future to own a Tesla, I’m not all that concerned.

I drive a big gas guzzling suv so I can’t judge anyone for what they drive.

4. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They are starting to look better and I think I heard one company is working on an electric truck. I think if I had to buy a car today I'd go with a gas powered one. But wouldn't be opposed to an electric one in the future if there was one that met my needs.

5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it is funny how everyone thinks its new technology, when in fact we had electric powered vehicles before World War I. Actually they existed at the end of the 1800's in some places. I think London had some electric taxis back in 1895-1900ish.

Anyone who says they don't have any power are idiots as the largest moving things on land and sea are powered by electric motors. To be fair all of those things have on board power plants making them hybrids. Trains - diesel electric, 300 ton capacity mine trucks - diesel electric, aircraft carriers - nuclear electric. If you have ever used a high quality electric power tool you also know this to be true.

The biggest problem for an electric vehicle is range and conveyance. Range is a balance between the weight of the energy source and how much energy it contains. Even fancy batteries get to be heavy when you are talking enough AMP hour to be used in a car. My 20 year old pickup truck can go 100-150 miles farther on 30 gallons of diesel than any of Tesla's cars can on a single charge. It also takes but a few moments to fill my truck unlike charging an electric vehicle. Even if you do a quick charge you are still looking at 30 minutes, which only nets you half the range of a full charge. So I can cover close to 300 more miles in a day in an out dated vehicle with no computers on it at all than the best electric vehicle out right now. Basically my normal 8 hour drive to visit my family would be turned into a two day drive.

I realize that is not relevant to people who live in large cities or small countries.

They also are not green in the slightest, sorry but they just aren't. Batteries are made of hazardous materials and have a short life span even with proper maintenance. If you could have bought a Prius the same day my 20 year old truck came out, you would have dropped a couple grand on replacing the battery in it at least twice. While you do not need oil or transmission fluid, you still need grease which is a petroleum product as is all the plastic the car has in it. And you still have to get power from somewhere to charge it, which will raise your electric bill at your house and require a proper electrical circuit to handle the voltage needed.

For people who don't need a vehicle for more than short trips or commuting to work they are fine. For people who enjoy driving, there are far better vehicles for a lot less money for that.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My home state of Michigan passed a law to ban Tesla and any other electric car (other than the Chevy Volt) from being sold in the state. Right now they’re too expensive for any person of modest means to own but I wouldn’t be opposed to owning one if they ever are affordable and can go as far on one charge as a tank of gas can.

One thing I won’t own is an autonomous car. I’m a miserable passenger because my brain needs stimulation and being the driver satisfies that need because of all the decisions and things that need to be paid attention to.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If they weren’t so expensive I would maybe consider it plus they have to be recharged a lot so they don’t go very far. I’ve also heard that Tesla isn’t worth the cost. Like their breaks aren’t very good and their self driving thing is not safe. For $75,000 you would think that they would be on top of this.

#7 Andrew99, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  8. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As Andrew99 said If they weren't so expensive but while he would consider it I would personally buy an electric car if they were cheaper then their current prices but since they are still farily new I can see why they're so expensive but when hover cars become a reality they might go down in price (Possibly next decade due to how rapiddly technology is advancing)

#8 sonic1337111, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    At this point, I doubt I'd own an electric car. It's nothing against the idea, but it does not fit my historic buying pattern, which has always been cheap, used cars. There are no cheap, used electric cars. And even if there were, they'd likely have expensive issues looming (like a $$$$ battery replacement).

Maybe, but there are older buyers who are receptive. It's interesting that I know of two people in their 60s or above who've voiced an interest in electric cars. One person's dream car is a Tesla. Another is A to B driver, but thinks electric has some environmental benefits. Although he's also commented he likely wouldn't buy one. His next car, he thinks, will likely be the last he ever buys, and he thinks gasoline based is better for him given that he does take longer trips.

10. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I also think the infrastructure doesn't exist to the point that they'd be big sellers at least where I live. I don't remember seeing any charging stations at my university campus and there are none at my apartment complex. I don't know how long a charge lasts but I wouldn't want to run around all day then not find a charging station at the mall or work or store. And there Definately aren't any in the mountains where I go camping.

11. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m old school I guess....I hate the idea of automated self driving cars; I actually find driving relaxing and my time to decompress, our some good songs on and just drive wherever....
    I also grew up tinkering with old cars; old VWs and muscle cars....I really dig old 1960s big cars; the ‘67-68 Impala was one of the sexiest cars ever designed, in my opinion

12. Xochipilli

I financed a car a few months ago and I knew for sure I wanted an electric or a hybrid. I ended up going with a hybrid because the electric options I liked were way too expensive in SUV form (basically only Tesla available) and there’s the whole range anxiety thing and availability of charging stations. I figured hybrid was a decent starting point in the shift away from traditional combustion engines and Toyota makes some pretty reliable hybrid SUVs. I’m hoping to eventually jump to full electric in the near future.

I haven’t done too much research on the actual impact of hybrids/electric vehicles on the environment, but on the surface they seem better. I also want to chip away at “Big Oil.” :grin: