1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EC's 2010 April Fools Overview

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Martin, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can now all relax for another year! This thread marks the official end to EC's April Fools pranks! :grin:

Below you will find a list of the pranks that were played on you all, and you may even discover some pranks that you missed. :wink:

1) Satan
    Those of you who experienced April Fool on EC in 2009 will have met God, who turned out to be a lesbian who chillaxed in hell with the Westboro Baptist Church. Well this year saw the debut of Satan, who pretty much speaks for himself. He may have shown homophobia at time by pointing out why he thinks you're all abominable, but atleast he promises fun times in hell!

2) Last person to post wins (Mods edition)!
    Those who regularly spam in Fun and Games found themselves unable to participate in the last person to post thread! The thread was closed for the day and saw mods battling it out to see who would post last before it was opened again. Any members who were bored enough to watch it will have seen the random and weird images linked in it. Despite a few comments in Chat expressing irritation (Yeah, I saw them!) most members just got on with other games and tried to establish whether EC had been hacked or not. This prank eventually ended with Maddy getting the last post. Although, this has led to us to determine that Victor is perhaps too competitive for his own good so we shall be sending him to rehab ASAP.

3) Dude, where's my avatar?
    EC members found that they had lost their identity for the day and got replaced with ones that weren't so desirable for their lust, in some cases anyway. Avatars for members were displayed based on the choice that they had chosen for their Orientation. The following avatars appeared for members:

Gheys:
    [​IMG]

Bisexuals:
    [​IMG]

Straights:
    [​IMG]

Lesbians:
    [​IMG]
    Note: A glitch in the setup prevented the lesbian avatar from appearing. This avatar was originally meant to display for them, but most of them found that they simply had no avatar. Anybody who had a custom Orientation also had no avatar displayed.

4) Anonymous Unmasked
    Who is Anonymous? Who will we find if we take that bag off his head? Why is he so ashamed of his/herself? These questions all got answered today on April Fools day when Anonymous was unmasked for one day only!
    Anonymous was...
    [​IMG]
    Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church! :eek:

It's not really any wonder he chooses to be Anonymous when he runs such a homophobic church, but we hope his unmasking for the day will lead to his enlightenment. At the very least, we hope to see him out picketing with that "#1 gay" hat.

5) Spoilt for choice
    This was a fairly hidden prank which many of you will have failed to notice, but those of you who tried changing your profile today will have noticed that the Orientation and Out Status options had changed. no longer were you able to pick the traditional options that you have all come to love and use, but instead you were forced to pick one of these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was rather amusing to see what options new members picked when registering...

6) Staff Zone
    The appearance of the Staff Zone gave the illusion that members were now able to access the Staff forums, which had been revamped a bit to make them sound more bitchy (sadly we have no Fantasy Ban Lists or Confidential Ban Lists), but the prank quickly evolved into a "What's behind that forum?" game as many members were diverted away from EC and onto pages containing internet memes based on which forum they chose to try and access.
    [​IMG]
    So what was behind each forum?
    General Discussions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
    Member Discussions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHJCvJSnyyg
    - Fantasy Ban List: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_l1jeyzq_g
    Confidential List of Banned Members: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt1GY_vStx4
    Post Reports and Full Member Applications: www.leekspin.com

Unfortunately, a few of the sites I had in mind were not PG-13. Maybe next time though? :wink:

7) Wherefore art thou Lexington?
    It wouldn't be a typical EC April Fools without Lexington coming up with a prank! He moved away from his EC Ceiling idea this year, and instead decided to leave EC in a huff (aided by a temporary demotion for appearance purposes :wink:).
    The thread can be viewed here: http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33532
    Despite numerous people pointing out the obvious, a few members believed that it was real and thought Lexington had actually left in a huff. Others got offended that he had insulted the members, but probably ignored the parts that clearly showed it was a joke. :wink: Que sera sera.

8) Revamped General Chat
    General Chat was given a makeover today so that the forums and descriptions were more accurate for what occurs in them...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course, this prank was meant to be taken in a light-hearted manner, but it wouldn't be EC without some peeps getting up in arms about it, right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: These new titles were pretty popular amongst a few members who expressed interest for them to remain permanently, but sadly we had no choice but to revert back to its old system. Atleast we still have happy pictures and memories, right?

...and that's it!

I hope that you all have enjoyed the day and not found EC to be too annoying. :grin: I know many of you dedicate a lot of time on here to offer support and advice, but it's nice to have special occasions were you can sit back and just have a laugh and joke with other members. If you can't do that on April Fools day when can you?

Anyways, time for the thanking partttt! A special thankies to Corny who helped set up the technical pranks. Thankies to the staff who worked hard planning what pranks we could do, and working throughout the day to make them work. :grin:

Of course, a special thanks to you! EC wouldn't be as enjoyable as it is without you, and it has been great to see so many of you getting involved with the pranks and not taking it all too seriously. I must say a big thank you to those who got pissed off with the jokes and thought that they were lame, stupid, pathetic etc. I had great fun reading the comments on the forum and in chat, and it is because of you that I was determined to put so much effort into this day! Thank you for making all the time and dedication worth it. :wink:

Anyways, now that I have possibly pissed off another section of members I am now going to head off to sleep. This has taken over an hour to complete so it's likely going to be an incomprehensible ramble, but I don't care. :grin: The only part I apologise for is the thank you section because it sounds like the transcript of an oscar acceptance speech.

Hope you all had fun! See you all next year. :wink:

Martin.

2. Eponine

Is this thread supposed to also serve as an intervention for me or something? >_>

3. Lychee

Hahaha, all of these pranks were epic win :slight_smile:

I agree that the general chat names should have stayed that way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Muahahahahahahaha.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the out of toilet paper thing.

Another site I was on made a filter where everything was chatspeak. =O next year!

6. Eponine

GAH. I'll concede defeat to you this time. But I will be the winner in the end. >_<

7. Shevanel

I think that just made me laugh more than anything, Maddy xD You just HAD to bold that last ha xD

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, I'm too busy watching leekspin to comment.

Lex

9. Nodnarb

Fred Phelps was a nice touch. I've also seen Lex bring up Dubuque twice now. What's with that?

It's a travesty that we didn't get to see that Taylor Lautner pic all day. Lesbian conspiracy?

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I have to name some random city in the US, I usually go with either Dubuque or Duluth (which sound pretty much alike). I think I just like the way they sound. I used to use Sheboygan (Wisconsin) but most people hadn't ever heard of it.

Lex

11. Just Adam

lex your a lovely man...but you are cruel :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: i think those that thought this was real were almost having a breakdown at the thought of losing you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

also i really like the idea of the out status as out of beer haha...

----------

i was saying it all day that teh ladys hijacked us lol...it was like everything male had ran away for the day.... hehe its that satan *waves angry fist *

12. Ben

Ben

Everything was awesome this year. :grin:

I still think the "Fantasy Ban List" is hilarious xD

13. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like the phony descriptions.
    "Pointless discussions to make your life seem interesting and eventful"

"Recruitment"

14. Sylver

I have to thank the mods and staff for making April Fools Day my new favorite "holiday"!! You guys are awesome, and incredibly committed! Or you should be committed... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. jazzrawr

Haha, all I really saw was the new titles and descriptions. I apparently missed most of April Fools. XD
    ...and I got Rickroll'd. And Communist Roll'd. >_>

16. xCrazyInsanity

oh come on, can't spamville come back?

17. Adam

LOL, this site is great on April Fools day, keep it up, I noticed pretty much everything you guys did, even was changing some stuff in my profile and noticed the out status things, I tried to pick "out of beer" but it didn't do anything xD

18. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I personally would like the option in the My Settings area to change the names and descriptions back to what they were. The changes made to Fun and Games and LGBT News, Rights, Issues and Equality were my personal favorite.

19. xCrazyInsanity

Just cause I thought the orientation/out status prank was funny....
    <-

20. RaeofLite

Yea, I thought the orientation avatars were amusing. But since I'm a lesbian and mine didn't show, I just had a lot of eye candy to look at whenever a gay dude posted. :slight_smile: :lol:

Great work mods/admins/advisers. :slight_smile: