1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dysphoria while shopping for clothes

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by toothpaste, May 8, 2019.

1. toothpaste

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ok so I'm non binary and afab. basically, shopping for clothes was always something that was pretty hard for me, so after i came to terms with being non-binary i just kept wearing what i already had, which was my "girl clothes". its not like i wear super feminine stuff but, its just stuff like woman's jeans and leggings and hoodies, which i already had. i know non binary people don't have to look androgynous to be valid, but i am really uncomfortable with looking like a girl, so i guess i'd rather be androgynous/masc leaning. so i went shopping for clothes with my parents.. and it didn't go so well. crowds of people already made me anxious. it was hard for me to find things i liked. i'm not a girl or a boy. theres only womens sections and mens sections, and i felt like they just didn't have room for me. like i didn't belong there. in the end i was very frustrated and upset and ended up not buying anything. does anyone have any tips for dealing with this? or just shopping tips for non binary people in general? i'd really appreciate any advice.

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Think about it in a different way. You're non binary. You're allowed to mix and match, pick and choose from anywhere you want buy anything you find cool. And btw, labelling of products as gendered is just marketing after all.

3. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, what Michael said. Like both mens and womens sections have plain t-shirts and polos, the only thing that's different about them is the cut! And women's section items might be thinner or have some pretty detail on it. I think the biggest difference to me, wearing mostly men's section small shirts as an AFAB not yet transitioned trans guy, is the fact that they fit me weird sometimes...so to me, the fit matters more to me. I think gendering clothes is dumb...but i can see why as adults it can be necessary, even if only for the fit. Men have broader shoulders and lack the wider hips that women have, for instance. I have a number of long sleeve mens shirts that i don't wear because they fit for men with broad shoulders which i don' have. Sorry idk if this even really helps at all. I just know it took me a lot of searching to find a few retailers whose clothes i can mostly wear. I wear a lot of american eagle and hot topic, and some walmart mens graphic tees too.

4. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you like learning new things, taking the time to tailor your own clothing to fit is extremely liberating. I've been working on some clothing to fit my own tastes, since a lot of fast-fashion is poor quality and doesn't fit well at all.

5. fairyboy64

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi there! I'm a demi-boy and I've been trying on lots of girls' clothing all over recently. Feel free to mix-and-match and find what you feel best in! There's a whole world of clothing out there. I can agree with Alexjames- American Eagle and Hot Topic definitely *feel like* non-binary clothing. Shopping at either place, it felt as if nothing has a gender attached to it. Also, for jeans and hoodies in general, it really doesn't matter which section you shop in.
    ...oh, I just saw the date on your post. How have things gone since then? Have you found a comfortable mix of clothing, or do you still need help with something?