1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunkirk(film)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ECMember, Jul 23, 2017.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Has anyone seen that movie Dunkirk. I saw it yesterday afternoon with my parents and sister and I have mixed feelings about it. There was about 20-35% action in a war movie, the point of views had shifted between three different perspective and it felt too fast, I don't recall the names of the characters. And no mention of French troops at the Battle of Dunkirk. I'm not saying the movie sucked, I'm just pointing out things from the movie that stood out to me.

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I really enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I'm European so it feels more relevant to me.

The "Battle of Dunkirk" was the defence and evacuation of troops from Dunkirk. It wasn't an offensive at all, hence there being less action and more tension. So I understand what you mean about it being less a normal, action war film than might be expected if you didnt know about Dunkirk. And they do mention and show the French troops, however, since the film focuses entirely on British characters and the British evacuation efforts, it's not surprising they get sidelined.

As for the pace, it was fast but thank goodness Nolan made a relatively short film for once. Only remembered one character's name but Nolan and the actors did explain the focus was on using the characters to convey the emotion of how it would have been as a soldier at Dunkirk.

Chris Nolan is British-American himself, so the patriotic horn blowing for the British "success" wasn't a surprise (and was quite enjoyable since war films are normally about American successes).

Sorry for the long analysis! I've been thinking about it a lot :grin:

3. Loves books

I was going to see it until my aunt and uncle said it was very bad and had too many characters to really get invested in it. I was disappointed that they said it was no good I love history and if it was accurate it would have been interesting.

#3 Loves books, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just saw it a few hours ago. I really enjoyed the beginning, and there were some really intense parts.

But that being said, there was no character depth, character development etc, and maybe it's because I'm not a war/history but the plot was meh.

5. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a huge Christopher Nolan fan so I went to see it a couple days ago and I thought it was pretty great. My fiancee said going in she wasn't sure if she was going to get a war movie or a Nolan movie but that it was definitely a Nolan movie. I have to agree. I followed the varying timelines well-enough but I may have to watch the movie again to sort them all out.

(Spoiler Warning) I have to disagree with you that there was no mention of French troops. There was explicit mention that only the English be allowed on the ships, one of the more major characters was French, and at the end of the movie the admiral refused to leave with everyone else because he wanted to wait for the French too.