1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb questions about trans men / FTM

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by mangotree, May 23, 2014.

1. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't even started transitioning yet so bear with me.

Do you generally not tell anyone (that you were born in a female body) unless they ask?

Since I'm still clearly female, nobody asks except for small children that can't tell if I'm a boy or a girl. But after I transition? I would not. Depending on the scenario, I might choose not to tell them even if they ask. It depends on my level of trust.

What kinds of discrimination, misconceptions, assumptions or ignorance do you face day to day if any?

So far I've been lucky.

What effects do hormones have on you other than growing facial/body hair?
    What would happen if you stopped taking hormones?

These two have been covered pretty thoroughly. :slight_smile: So I'll mix it up a bit and give you a tangentially related personal response: the one thing T can help me with that I absolutely can't wait another day for? Deeper voice. That, by the way, is another permanent effect of T.

I assume most trans men prefer male pronouns?

You assume correctly. :slight_smile:

Did you always know you were a boy/man / born in the wrong body? (Is it just like asking a gay man when they realised they were gay?)

It is sort of like asking a gay person when they realised they were gay, but I think in the case of trans people there's a lot of misconception about this sort of thing. A lot of people think you can't be trans unless you knew 100% since you were 5 years old.

For me, I didn't always know. When I was a kid I was a little tomboy, always trying to out-boy the boys - but I didn't know I was a boy. In high school I was aware of not being a girl, but I didn't think I had any choice, I just assumed that there was something wrong with me. It wasn't until I was in college that I realised that being female didn't default me to being a woman, and everything started to make sense.

When did you start transitioning?

I started telling close friends a couple of years ago, and started to dress solely in guy's clothes about a year ago. I feel like social and medical transition are going to coincide for me because I really don't pass well without hormones.

When did you first start dressing like a boy/man and how did it make you feel?

I've been wearing male clothes literally forever. When my mom was pregnant with me she was told I was going to be a boy, so she bought me baby boy's clothes. Then I was actually born, and she bought me baby girl's clothes. My parent's never restricted my expression so I've worn a mix of male and female clothes for my entire life, though for a while there were more female clothes in my closet.

I started dressing like a guy all the time about a year ago. It felt awesome, not awkward at all. I prefer guy's clothes, but I'd still shop in both departments if I didn't have the body issues I do.

When did you have your surgery?

I didn't. Hopefully in a few years. Top surgery is a must for me, but I'll pass on bottom surgery.

Are your parents supportive of you being trans and/or gay?

I haven't told them so I don't know.

Have you changed your gender on your passport / birth certificate etc..?

Not yet. After I transition, and legally change my name.

How did you choose your male name?

I haven't yet. Names are hard. :icon_sad:

What was your birth name?

A great big secret. Yes, even though I'm still currently going by it.

The only questions I think would be inappropriate are the ones about surgery and birth names, those are usually touchy subjects. But honestly, just use your judgement!

2. Calix

Oh god, summing up my experience there xD

3. justjade

It's good to know I'm not alone. :slight_smile: