1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drivers Ed?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ForgottenRose, May 31, 2013.

1. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, I have Drivers Ed tomorrow, I also have social anxiety. Just how bad is it, normally and when I have anxiety.
    Like right now, I can't even think straight like I am tripping. Super worried too. HALP.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The worst part of drivers ed is when they are showing you the videos of the really bad car wrecks. I remember some people threw up because of those videos.

All you have to do is sit and listen. Half of it was videos... Sometimes they ask questions, but it's not too often. It could be different, but that's what it was like for me here in Ohio.

3. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay thank you.
    I have no problem with stuff like that. So I should be good.. Hopefully.

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, Driver's Ed. was really inane and hopelessly boring. Or for me at least. (Which says a lot because it's hard for me to not be interested in something).

What part specifically are you worried about? Class is just like a dumbed down boring high school class so - I'm assuming the driving part? In which I don't blame. I got stuck with an instructor I really didn't like, and I wonder in retrospect if I could have demanded a switch. So you could see about that if it comes up.

Or if it's the driving specifically - practice! It always helps :slight_smile:
    Although gas prices are pretty darn high so I couldn't blame ya.

Good luck :thumbsup:

5. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you!! I need all the luck I can get.
    Driving. I HATE having all that control. One bad move, you could die or you could kill someone. I don't like that.

6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I have bad social anxiety, but I didn't have any problems with Drivers Ed.

Of course I still have a lot of anxiety driving. It's not so bad on driving on regular roads, but driving at high speeds on high ways really gets me nervous. Trying to change lanes and merge and all that causes me to panic so I generally avoid highway driving.

Just try to stay as calm and focused as you can while driving. :slight_smile:

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In a similar vein as having your finger on the trigger of a gun: just because you CAN cause a tragedy so easily it might happen by accident, doesn't mean it can't be avoided with a little bit of focus and awareness of what you're doing. I've been driving for about 8 years, and the one crash I was in was because it was very dark out and I wasn't paying attention. If you do look where you're going, you'll be fine. :slight_smile:

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I may be being dumb here, but what is Drivers Ed? :confused:

9. Beware Of You

The US have to take lessons in Traffic Law before they can get their learners permit (Provisional for us) . Like the stuff you get in a theory test I guess

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Driver's Ed is the class where one learns to drive a car.

11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh, I see :slight_smile: thanks!

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Learner's permit policy is probably something that varies state to state. Driver's licenses are handled on a state level, and each state has its own rules and regulations.

In my state (Washington), you don't have to take any lessons in law to get a permit. Worst case scenario: you have to pass a written test, but they could not care less how you learned the traffic laws. Many people, however, don't take the written test when getting a learner's permit--there is an option for a waiver for those enrolled in an approved driver's ed program. I believe, however, that one does have to pass the written test at some point in order to get the license.

However, people under 18 do have to pass an approved driver's ed program in order to get a license.

13. lsl1995

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In my state, to get your permit you merely have to be 15 and pass a computerized test. As soon as you get 25 questions right, you pass. But as soon as you get 5 questions wrong, you fail. And the questions are as easy as asking what a red 8-sided sign signifies.

And as long as you're 16 and have had your permit for a certain amount of time, you can go to the local DMV and you'll take your road test there. Or you can take driver's ed and the teacher can give you the test.

Driver's ed is required at my school though and I had to take it even though I already had my license. And the teacher was a nutcase, so I'm glad I was able to take my road test with a friendly, unbiased cop.

Taking driver's ed also lowers your car insurance, so that's pretty much the only positive thing about that class. I literally learned nothing I hadn't already known. Oh and I got my boating license in that class, which is ridiculous because the fact that I can get one and still have no idea at all how to drive a boat is idiotic.

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It seems strange driver's ed would be required. And even insane requiring it even for people who have a license. Still...I guess the insurance discount is worth some pain and suffering...

In my area, I believe driver's ed has faded from schools. There have even been newspaper articles talking about that. Even my old high school no longer has it. No idea why there was this trend, but I suspect that cutting costs was the motive.

15. photoguy93

What I loved most about drivers ed was learning how NOT to drive. I absolutely hated being told what to do.
    So what if I want to put my arm on the arm rest...uhh, isn't that what it's there for? I'm only going to hold on so tight to that wheel if I'm going to take off.

In all honestly, though, to the OP - you'll be fine. Hopefully they will let you team up with someone for the driving portion...maybe you'll meet someone in class that isn't bad.

The class itself is extremely boring. It's completely obvious stuff. Oddly enough, it was never really about actually driving a car. The things I remember most were "DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE" and "PAY ATTENTION!" Granted, those are extremely valuable lessons, but I don't remember much else.

However, I will say that I learned the most from actually driving (shock.) That really helped me, to be able to get behind the wheel and see what it's all about.

16. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have drivers Ed tomorrow too, I've been nervous as well. You're not alone!

17. lsl1995

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I always hated the whole "Keep your hands on the 10 & 2." No, that is totally uncomfortable and who in their right mind drives like that?

If my driver's ed teacher saw the way I hold my steering wheel now, she would flip her shiz. :lol:

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Actually, it seems to me that some suggest the 10 & 2 positions are not that great anymore due to air bags. I think injury is said to be greater in case an airbag deploys.

19. Music Heals

ForgottenRose, don't get so worked up about the driving. My permit just expired because I've had it for a year, and I've gradually become less and less nervous about driving. It still terrifies me, because I'm convinced that other drivers will run into me, but as long as you can drive well, have faith that you'll be able to stay safe. I never had to take any driver's Ed here in PA, but it does give you lower insurance costs. My school doesn't even offer the class anymore! And I go to a rather large school where there's no public transportation in any surrounding town!

20. Beware Of You

Also in a frontal impact (short abrupt stop) you are likely to dislocate your thumbs in that position.