1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dreading long distance

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Blanched, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Blanched

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am currently a senior in high school, and my boyfriend is a junior. He has recently told me that he is going to do split training for the national guard, which means he will be training for 10 weeks this summer, complete his senior year, and then another whole summer of training. I am going to college this fall. I won't get to spend much of either summer break with him. There will be at least a two year stretch where we wont see each other for any extended period of time. Depending on what he does the next summer it could be longer. I really really want this to work out, but I am scared of losing him being apart for so long and I don't know what to do.

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi @Blanched,

I’m sorry to hear about your situation and I can completely understand why you’re feeling scared.

When you say that you don’t know what to do, are you looking for advice on being in a long distance relationship or are you referring to your future plans?

Have you discussed this with him? How does he feel about it?

sojabohnenfeld likes this.
  3. sojabohnenfeld

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My own bf had covid, so I didn't see him for 14 days. My friend gave me the advice to call him every so often. And we tried to call at the same time each day, so it was a consistent thing. Maybe you could try that? It helped me, and when I saw him after the isolation, I felt closer, rather than farther.

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My now-wife taught English overseas for two years after college while I lived in the US. Due to the time difference, we had about two or three hours each day that we could talk to each other. The key of long-distance relationships is that you both have to be committed to figuring out how to make it work. It’s going to take some time and trying things out and making sure you’re communicating how you’re feeling. It’s a balancing act—both of you making time for the relationship while also making sure that you’re living your own lives. Long-distance is hard but it’s believing that it’s going to be impossible that makes it impossible.