1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doubts when coming out?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by womaninamber, Feb 15, 2018.

1. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I have begun referring to myself as a lesbian when talking to people. This is not a huge step as these are people who already knew I wasn't straight and/or people I only know on the internet. (Which is not to say I don't value the friendships I have on the internet.) But I keep having all these doubts. "You can't be a lesbian! You're 50 and you've never even been with a woman!" or "You still have fantasies about your male celebrity crushes!" or "You just don't like the idea of being bisexual so you convinced yourself you're a lesbian!" or ... tons of other reasons I "can't" be a lesbian. Is it normal to come out but worry that you're lying?

Part of this could be "denial" but I'm at a loss at to why I have so much denial after coming from a family that wasn't very homophobic and being a big "ally" in college. I did spend some time in a repressive religious environment so I suppose that doesn't help but in my life before that I was not like that at all... yet at that time I felt like I couldn't say I wasn't straight and something like that is still happening to me.

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm only out to my therapist, who I started seeing a few weeks ago. Since then I've experienced some of what you're describing. Just random 'What if I'm not gay?' thoughts, with no real reason behind them.

I think it's fairly normal, but someone with more coming out experience will be able to give more insight. Hopefully they'll be along soon. :slight_smile:

womaninamber likes this.