1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Do Kill: Gays in Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Wander, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  2. Mind Freak

That's retarded.
    Like America needs soldiers turned away; if they want to go risk their necks to protect my hide I think they should be able to!

There was something else I was going to add but I forgot...

I didn't read the article btw; just the topic irritates me.

3. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ...the article is about Iraqi homosexuals who are routinely hunted and killed, not American soldiers who were discharged.

4. Steam Giant

I'm not surprised to read a story like this, as I've heard many like it in that whole general region. The fact that things were better with Saddam, while not all that surprising either, is pretty interesting. I'm glad they're receiving assistance from foreigners. Those peoples' hearts are pure gold.

It's so sad that they have to leave their country, though, when the only way to change things in their homeland would be to stay. Right now, though, things are a bit chaotic for their protest to be meaningful, and would simply result in yet more mass killings that hardly grace the international headlines these days.

I do hope that some Iraqi LGBT activists decide to stay, though. They have to be careful now, but if they hide well and are just a bit more patient, they'll have a chance to organize some sort of protest, and will have a better opportunity to gather international attention. Those murder teams can get away with what they're doing now, but when their country's more stable and foreign news agencies start to show up, things'll be very different.

5. interstella

Good thing my parents left Iraq, otherwise I would have been killed. I'm still not sure about coming out to my extended (Iraqi) family though :S

6. EthanS

EthanS Guest

So.. was saddam hussein alryght with gays?? or did he just not treat them as bad

7. Derek the Wolf

Wow, that's really sad. I can't believe these things, but then I remember it's exactly the same as the civil rights movement in the 60s, there will be bumps and violence. :frowning2: