1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does your doctor ask you about your orientation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Dec 14, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm wondering about this, because when I went to the doctor to have him sign off on bariatric paperwork, he asked me some general health questions, and then asked, "Are you sexually active, and if so, do you have sex with men, women, or both?"

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure why that matters. Did you get to ask him what difference it makes?

3. Hexagon

I avoid my doctor. I don't think I really have one anymore, its been so long.

4. starfish

It matters because MSM (Men who have sex with men) are at higher risk for some STDs, and other health issues. So for example at AwesomGaytheist's age it would be recommended that he get the HPV vaccine.

Really it is important that you are completely honest with your Doctor (or anyone that fixes stuff), as something that might seem like nothing to you could be a big clue as to what is going on.

5. leer

haven't seen my doctor this year. but he does know about my sexuality had a chest infection last year and he asked me a bunch of questions could have told him to bugger off
    but I was honest. also told him I had some blood test when I split with my ex .

6. Minamimoto_Fan

Nope, just the general "Drugs? Alcohol? Sexually active?" spiel

7. Tintagel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No?

About the HPV thing; why don't they just give it to everyone?

8. timo

I'm not sure if I even have a doctor. I registered at one in the city I moved to but never got any confirmation or something.

9. bitchyetough

They're there to fix people no? So what would it matter if they did know other than being able to cover more potential medical issues/necessities you may encounter.
    Sure everyone can get them and people seem to dislike hearing this but MSM are at higher risk of getting certain STI/Ds.

10. June Cleaver

It is common these days. The last form I filled out had a transgender option. June

11. Hiems

No. My doctor is a first generation Vietnamese person. In that demographic, sexual orientation is not discussed. They just assume everyone is heterosexual.

I can attest to that generalization because many of my parents and parents' friends are also first generation Vietnamese folks. Seldom do they talk about sexuality. It's a taboo topic, especially if they are religious.

I would prefer a doctor who is more willing to discuss health issues related to the LGBT community, but there are two reasons why I can't look for such a doctor. First, my parents also go to this Viet doctor, so they would become suspicious if I look for a new one. And second, there are none around my area, so I'm simply out of luck.

12. DesertTortoise

What starfish and bitchyetough said. A doctor should be informed about your sexual practices.

13. biggayguy

I told my show doctor just in case something shows up in my lab work.

14. Thedistra

Never had it happen, but I rarely go. I just get the normal are you sexually active question. I also live in a pretty small town, so it might not even cross their mind. Now that I think about it my father mentioned it years ago, but he just said it wasn't asked.

15. Sarcastic Luck

No, it's never come up. I just get asked if I'm sexually active.

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My doctor has never asked me anything about my sex life (which is non-existent, anyway). :lol: I only go when I have a specific complaint, and he checks that and only that (and possible causes, of course). Sex or sexuality have never been brought up, though I'm sure they will eventually.

17. AKTodd

My doctor knows my orientation and is also my partner's doctor. So that simplifies things.

Todd

18. My doctor did not even ask the sexually active question (my age might be a factor)

I mean I am at the point where I am taking hormones. We just reviewed mY meds and that was it.

As an interesting aside their form had for sex Male/Female/other have no idea what they expected anyone to put

for other - I almost checked off other and wrote "not in too danged long" :roflmao:

19. blueberrymuffin

Yeah, i was asked that, said "standard question, gay or straight?" I thought that quite odd since i was there for an ear infection. Still, i was honest. Then when i checked my medical record couple months ago to get a procedure approved, i noticed it says "homosexual" on there...

Perhaps if he had explained why it's a standard question or that he would record my answer, i wouldn't feel violated or like a pariah now. Have a hard time trusting that doctor again.

20. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't have healthcare