1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this change anything?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Spot, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think everyone here knows I'm FTM and I'm definitely more comfortable as a male than a female. But what I've come to realize is, I really hate the idea of gender in general. I feel like I don't fit in with or "get" guys or girls, I wish I did get guys though. And it's so stupid how we're taught to see the opposite gender, almost as a different species. That's how I feel at least...I just feel like everything would be easier if gender didn't exist. I'd much rather just see other people as...people, not boys or girls. I don't think it's about stereotypes either, I just think it's stupid to separate the world's population into two halves. What is even the point of having genders? It's so pointless to have to box yourself in. I identify as male because it makes me happy and I'm comfortable this way but ultimately, I wish there wasn't a need to identify as either gender at all, if you know what I mean. I'm still FTM though, aren't I? I'm not sure if this really changes anything or not...

2. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Is it possible that maybe you just have a problem with sexism that puts people into boxes?

I think gender is just a statistical tendency to like certain things. But in the end it's just a tendency and girls and guys are really diverse.

Sure, that doesn't interfere with you being FTM. It's not a box you have to fit in. There are sporty transguys, nerdy transguys etc. We are linked only by our destiny which is why we have all kinds of characters and I don't think we can't really have a box of our own.

Secrets5 likes this.
  3. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel our society just likes the use of labels for everything. People can understand things with labels. So having no gender labels would be odd, as people contribute traits to certain genders, interests, personalities, etc.. Not that everyone fits this box. But people have stereotypes because of our label system.

I don't think that changes anything. I feel that I'm androgyne because I see myself as male and female at the same time. I don't see me like this because of stereotypes but because of whom I am with pronouns, name, and dysphoria. So if you feel like a man because of similar reasons (maybe others), then I'd still say so, but I can't tell you whom you are. Only you can make that call.

-Niko

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A question like this pops up every once in a while... What do you mean by "Am I still FtM?"? All you say is totally understandable, and there *is* no need to identify as male or female. Identifying as either is only descriptive too, not prescriptive. Maybe you should think about what being a man (guy, boy, whatever you feel comfortable calling yourself, identifying with) is for you? What it means for you? I think it helps a lot. If transitioning is what you want to do and what will make you happy - then do that, and nobody can tell you that you shouldn't because you don't fulfil society's expectations for what a man is or is not. But. If you feel female and want to be a guy, I would totally advise against transitioning, because you might still feel female after transitioning, and it totally sucks to function as the gender you don't feel like. For me it sounds, though, like you either are non-binary but prefer to live as male, or that you are trans and harsh on yourself (happens a lot). For me it doesn't feel like identifying as a guy is some sort of obligation. I just do and period. End of story. It's not like "we have two genders", because we do not. I just identify with people whose sex happens to be male much more than those whose sex happens to be female. It's all there is to it. There is some difference. I'm on the other side of the fence mentally.

Senpai25 likes this.
  5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's an interesting point, but ultimately I don't think gender in of itself is a bad thing. It just is. A natural byproduct of human biology and psychology. You yourself said you identify as male because it makes you more comfortable. I would agree, but if someone told me I "cannot" do something because I am male or female, then I would be more rebellious to the idea.

Essentially, stereotypes and limiting labels are what I take issue with.

newts likes this.