1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does my Professor like me?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Frankie41, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Frankie41

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I have a teacher and I m not sure if she takes a liken to me or not (FYI: I am a heterosexual female). For instance, I remember in our early interactions when I had asked her about what I should particularly pay attention to when taking notes, she playfully responded just nothing inappropriate. After the end of lecture one class, the two of us were alone in the classroom. I was the last out b/c I m usually a snail when it comes to putting back my materials, but I was surprised when she came over to me and casually asked me about my weekend plans I was thrown off slightly but still told her. Other incidences, a slight touch on the arm, intense eye contact, just to name a few. Saying she s looking forward to a study session with me... Oh and I forgot! Calling me sweetheart and dear. And always staying close beside me.
    So what do you guys think! I m just a well favored student or is there something more here that I m not seeing. Thanks

2. idsm

Can I enroll? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Just kidding. It could be either, but most likely she's just nice. She definitely likes you as a student/person, though, so that's good. How old are you? Is she like that with anybody else?

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are feeling uncomfortable, remember it is ok to tell her politely you prefer not to be treated that way. And, if needed, you can talk to others about this.

You say you are heterosexual, so i suppose you aren't interested in a relationship with her anyway. However, if that's the case, i advise caution. Relationships between professors and students rarely happen without power imbalance, and it can also be considered unethical to date a student.

It may also be nothing but just her being nice, like idsm said. In that case, you can also tell her you are not comfortable with it if that's the case. If you are, then maybe there's nothing to be done here.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Almost certainly she is just being caring and nice. I wouldn't read anything more into it.

If you do get any further indication, this is something to address sooner than later. A teacher can cause untold harm to a student by developing an inappropriate relationship, and if not with you, it could be someone else. So... Just be cautious.

5. Loves books

I'd say she's just being nice to you. Some people use terms of affection with everyone, I got called Pet and honey by people I had just met.

6. Glitters

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like she likes you...as a student and friend :slight_smile:

7. YeahpIdk

It sounds like she's just being really friendly. Eye contact is usually just a sign of confidence/wanting to let someone know you're paying attention to them when they're speaking. I'd certainly never take "sweetheart" and "dear" as anything sexual -- more motherly, than anything.

However, if you're getting weird vibes, avoid being alone with her for very long.

Do you think maybe you're forming a bit of a crush on her and reading into things? Might be something to think about. Either way, I wouldn't stress too much.

Another thing is, sometimes when students linger, teachers may feel like the student wants to chat. I used to linger after the classes of my favorite professors so we could talk for a bit and stand out a little more. I'm still friendly with some of them. So, I wouldn't read much into it. The touching can be a bit much, though. So, yeah...it's not a bad idea to follow your gut feeling much of the time.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think she's just being nice. :slight_smile: