1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it count as a trigger crush if nothing ever happens?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by spirals, Nov 25, 2015.

1. spirals

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been reading the threads here about trigger crushes and I think this describes what I had. But nothing ever happened between us - she is (very) straight and married and never showed any interest in me. Is this my trigger crush?

She was the head of my department and from the moment I met her at my interview I was captivated. She is 4 years older than me, very elegant, incredibly intelligent, extremely confident and successful (head of department in her mid-30s), but also with this underlying vulnerability that drove me crazy. I wanted to take care of her. She isn't classically beautiful but she has these eyes and lopsided smile that cannot be described in words. She is very professional and serious usually but underneath very warm, kind and sweet On rare occasions lets her mask slip and reveals a very funny and irreverent sense of humor.

Anyway, I could write many pages about her, but the point is that although I've had crushes on girls and women my whole life, this was different. So very different. I think it's the first time in my life I've felt this overwhelming sexual desire for someone. I've certainly never felt it for a man. With this woman, I just couldn't take my eyes off her, obsessed with the way she moved, spoke, sat. One day she was sitting in her office with the door open, and wearing a short skirt. As I was walking down the corridor she bent over she get something and I saw the length of her stunning leg. And it was like being electrocuted, I couldn't breathe. Is this how other women feel when they look at men?? I had to go and sit in my office to get my breath back. And I realized then that I want to actually be with someone who makes me feel this way.

Of course the result was that I turned into a bibbering idiot whenever I was around her, which didn't help my career prospects!! I ended up leaving that department and finally the company because being so near her was so crazy making. It's 8 years now since I first met her, and the last time I saw her was in May at a wedding. We're both in our 40s now. And she still has the same effect on me. I would drop everything, do anything just to touch her. If she had been interested, I would have done whatever it took to be with her. But it's totally hopeless. Not only is she straight, but I think she thinks I don't even like her and am a complete idiot because of my inability to string a sentence together in her presence. I might not even ever see her again yet I can't get her out of my mind.

But does a crush like this actually mean anything? if so, what? Probably this whole rambling post was just an excuse to talk about her again. Is this a common experience among us "late bloomers"?

#1 spirals, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  2. Distant Echo

Oh that counts alright :wink:

3. Really

Well, that's a doozy of a crush but if you were already aware of the fact that you were into women then technically it wasn't a trigger crush. :slight_smile: (Unless I read that wrong.)

And I don't think it matters whether anything happened or not. What makes it a crush is how you felt not what you did.

4. spirals

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, writing it all out was kind of therapeutic but it really brought back all those feelings.

I've known I like women since I was a child. I just suppressed it all my life because I considered it impossible to go down that road. This was the first time I couldn't just push it away. So (thinking aloud) maybe not a trigger to realizing I like women but a trigger to allowing myself to thinking I don't want to die without experiencing this.

5. CapColors

Yup that counts!

Nothing's gonna happen with my trigger crush either, but a trigger crush it is...

6. Nancy1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Spirals,

I can complete relate!!! Although I can moderately function around my trigger, I am definitely not as smart or articulate as usual, and sometimes....other people ask me if I'm okay,lol.

It definitely counts! I too have no hope with my crush, but hope to find someone that is a possibility and makes me feel this way.

Good Luck to us both!!

7. Julietta

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't recall having a trigger crush.

But I do have an ongoing (although thankfully diminishing) crush on someone who is absolutely hateful although definitely gay. I call it my inappropriate crush. And I'm absolutely certain nothing will ever become of it because she's a horrible person. But it's a crush alright.

8. rachael1954

I would say what you have there is a trigger crush! :eusa_clap

source: I too have experienced a trigger crush.:thumbsup: