1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Gay equal Gifted?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Deon1, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Deon1

Deon1 Guest

Hello everyone:

Okay so here's the deal. This is something that has kind of been on my mind. So I just wanted to share it with you and hear some of your opinions on it.

I am often told that I am an attrative, talented and/or smart person (not trying to sound conceited, but it's the truth). I also happen to be gay. But the thing is, the majority of gay people that I know--both open and closeted--are extremelly talented and/or smart.

The majority of my 'straight' friends are nice and good people, but the truth of the matter is intellectually, they can't compare to some of the gay people that I know, and they are not nearly as talented. Now don't get me wrong--I do know a lot of straight (at least I think they're straight) people that are smart and talented, but the gays that I know are like exceptionally talented and/or smart.

This makes me wonder: There are probably many smart and talented people out there that are 'closeted'--they don't even beleive that they're gay--and probably will forever remain that way. Consequently, I think that that just makes it even harder for those of us that are trying to come out, and even those that are already out. Don't you think?

Just think, if we could get more closeted people to 'come completely out' (including myself, but at least I'm working on it :icon_wink), then society would be able to recogize how talented we are--we could shine in an even more positive way.

Like I said, I personally know some closted gays, and they are very smart and talented. So in knowing this, it's seems only fair to assume that there are many people (closeted) that are the same way.

I'm pretty sure that some of the best doctors, lawyers, police officers, musicians, firefighters, etc. are gay. So what if everyone--I mean EVERYONE--that were closeted came out (like that will ever happen). That would be something, though. People could really see how exceptionally gifted gays are and how much of a contribution they really make to society.

But anyways, like I said, this is just something I was thinking about. I'm curious to know if anyone else has ever thought about this?

#1 Deon1, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2009
  2. Kirakishou

Something must have went wrong with me then. orz

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

While I wouldn't say there is a direct correlation with being homosexual and intelligent and good looking, because I have seen some rather slower and not-so-good-looking gays before.

There seems to be a psychological cause of hard working though, as what happens with many people who are made fun of, or try to prove to themselves that they are as good as other people.

Otherwise, I would say that all of that is just a coincidence and nothing else :slight_smile: .

4. Just Adam

i do seem to be rather talented with stuff like science music and such things but maths and spelling flumux me lol i see the numbers and see shapes and patterns not calculations lol i know the solution to a problem figureing them out mathamitically doesent work for me lolol

5. Janvier

Correlation =/= Causation

6. Rialto

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Naturally, I'm strikingly intelligent, talented and gorgeous to boot. :wink: But outside of me and my ego, I know of quite a few gay people who are nothing but average in all the abovementioned ways.

I think sometimes gay people lean towards doing creative things as the creative world is more accepting and relaxed. Whether this means that gay people are more creative is an entirely different thing. Nice idea though.

7. ColdSnap

this

8. Miles D

maybe it's just that homosexicles feel sub-human and therefore compensate by studying hard/trying harder?
    but I tend to agree with Janvier & ColdSnap...
    this also makes me think about statistics... where if there is a correlation between A and B, one the these must be true:
    1. A causes B.
    2. B causes A.
    3. A and B are both caused by a third factor, C.
    4. The observed correlation was due purely to chance.
    I tend to think this is #4, that gays being smarter or more creative is due purely to chance.

9. djt820

Even though I am considered intellectual by some people I know, I have met some dumbass gay people before.

10. Derek the Wolf

"Homosexuality is god's way of insuring that the truly gifted aren't burdened with children."
    ~Sam Austin

11. djt820

:lol: I like that.:eusa_clap

12. Deon1

Deon1 Guest

This makes sense. By being different, gays may tranform negative energy into positive energy--they may look at negative situations--both past and present--and attempt to prove that they are just as good--just as capable. So, I guess, they may simply work harder at what they do.

Oh by the way, I wasn't suggesting that there's a positive correlation between good looks and homosexuality. That would be silly of me. :grin:

13. Greggers

I guess im "the black sheep" of the homosexual family? The very very retarded black sheep...

14. Deon1

Deon1 Guest

I like that, too! :icon_bigg

15. littledinosaurs

I don't think there is a relation between them besides the idea of compensation, in which people work harder so they can say to themselves "well i'm gay, but i (get good grades, am varsity in soccer, etc.)" and that makes it okay that they are gay.

16. Well, I have wondered about this before... But I don't think it's true. It's just natural that the roughly 10-15% of the population that's LGBT would overlap with the roughly 10% of the population that's exceptionally intelligent.

And this thread makes me feel really lazy... 'Cause I sure as hell never tried to work harder or compensate.

17. Paralyzer

Growing up, I was labled "gifted" by my teachers. This was before I stopped fitting in so much. Also, not that it has much to do with the subject, I was a bully too xD

18. Something any psychologist will tell you.

19. silentsound

ahh synesthesia (that's what the linking of two unrelated sensual experiences is called, i.e.associating a name with a color or a word with a sound or taste or shape btw) I am the same way, but I've never met someone else with the same mental process...

20. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Gay = Gifted?

Gay = Gay