1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does everyone have hyperfixiations?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SelflessSellout, Jun 22, 2019.

1. SelflessSellout

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been having them for maybe 4 years now on and off, they mostly have to do with media (shows, etc) and i compltetely drop it within like 1 week to one month. Now sometimes when I get into something I think "oh this is this summer's hyerfixiation huh?" not negatively, it's just gotten to a point where i can assume it's gonna be a hyperfixiation.

I was curious and i looked it up and i saw people saying it was a form of autism, adhd, and even some mental illneses. I'm not concered if i have any because it's not that important to me. But is it true that not everybody has this? Just some thoughts.

2. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should consider why the hyper-fixation occurs, and if it's affecting your life negatively. When something becomes an unhealthy obsession, to the point where it's detrimental to your friendships/relationships/ causing you money problems etc. then you might want to consider getting help. Otherwise, I wouldn't stress over it too much.

Personally, I also experience interests that I get fixated on. Some last longer than others. It can vary a lot, sometimes it's just for a few days or weeks, but then there are ones which last for years. Or I get interested in a story, but only one particular part of it which I speculate on for a while.

It can be a symptom of the conditions you mentioned, but as an isolated trait by itself it's not much to go by. No one here is qualified to make that call, and even a professional would need more information to figure out if a diagnosis would be suitable or accurate. Conditions such as ADHD and Autism are made up of a cluster of traits, how they present in individuals with these conditions can differ from person to person. Especially since neurology is such a complex topic with a lot of variation.

#2 Canterpiece, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    SelflessSellout and Chip like this.