1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does being interested in "manly"things defines your masculinity?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonybg, Oct 31, 2016.

1. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

I consider myself to be quite masculine. Yet, I've never been interested in soccer, cars, rap music, big-tittied girls (obviously). Instead, I've always loved things that are more likable to women - like listening to Lady Gaga, Beyonce, watching shows like RuPaul's Drag Race etc. Also, I don't know how to repair stuff. In fact, I hate it! But what if, let's say, my door breaks. What do I do next? What if people start making fun of me for not knowing how to fix things in general?

So, my question is, does liking things considered masculine define how much of a man I am?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why should it?

I'm a woman, but I'm the complete opposite. i'm a bit more "masculine". I love video games, science, history, guyish-clothes....I hate dresses, make-up, "girl talk", gossip, pop music, and so on.

I'm still a woman. You're still a man. Gender roles are useless.

3. guitar

Absolutely not. What matters is the strength of your character. Some gay men have interests that fall under what you would consider "traditionally masculine," some don't. Others fall somewhere in the middle. Then again, so do straight men. It isn't about having interests that are supposed to be for men, or acting ultra masculine (e.g. all "bro"), it's about being a good person. Like Lady Gaga? So what, so do millions of straight and bi guys. Just be yourself and like what you like :slight_smile:

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Considering "masculinity" varies from person to person, era to era, culture to culture... And yeah, you hear "Be a man!" and "Real men ___" a lot, but my opinion is that masculinity is so frail that it must constantly be (tightly) enforced.

Are you a man? Yes? Then you're man enough. Some will say that being gay (or trans) means you'll never be a man, but then, it's said about many other types! You could live for yourself, or become something totally inauthentic, and possibly fail, to live up to society's standards.

5. Quist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    None of my straight male friends know how to fix anything and will often call me for help.

I can fix just about anything even if I have no experience working on whatever it is usually, it's just something that I'm naturally good at. And I cross dress and love girly things too.

I really wouldn't worry about it lol.

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey anthonybg,

Stereotypes are stereotypes and aren't worth the wasted breath it takes to speak them or the effort it takes to write them down.

Ultimately, you just have to be yourself and not worry about stereotypes.

Just be the best you that you can be. Live for yourself not for others. That's what is important if you want to be happy in life.:slight_smile:

7. L0ser

It doesn't matter if you're not interested in "manly" things. And let's just say living in a southern town, there are plenty of reminders of the masculine things I have no interest it, but of course I'm still a man. Basically, enjoy what you like and try not to let people get to you. Gender roles are mostly useless anyways, and I don't care if I act more feminine than masculine. Kind of like it, actually.

8. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Definitely not in my opinion.

9. mangotree

There's no point pretending to like things that you don't like and pretending to not like things that you do like.
    It'd just be a waste of time and a loss of joy in your life.
    It would also make you appear sort of "fake" to those around you.

Of course there's always a strong possibility that you do like some "typically manly" things, but you just haven't heard of them yet / don't know that they exist.

Also, screw gender stereotyping. It's no benefit to anyone.

10. Flowey

Real men like dicks :roflmao:

11. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Somehow it does but a more important part for me is my value system. I believe you should be a gentleman and hold the door for ladies. Also earn enough so you can let your girl decide if she wants so pursue a career or stay at home. The duty to defend your family and country.

12. HuskyLover

I'm like you when it comes to that. I hate sports (especially soccer), I have no interest in cars or other stereotypical manly things. However I like most female pop artists, I think that drag Queens are beautiful and I enjoy watching drag Queen themed movies etc. All in that though, I find myself pretty masculine (maybe because I have a very masculine body but idk), so no it doesn't. Stereotypes are just stupid.

13. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why should it? Interests don't make you masculine of feminine. Your skills and talents do not define your gender - you do. you are what you know you are adn, if that's a man that can't fix a broken door, so be it - you're a man.

14. 0Marionette0

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Of course it doesn't define how much of a man you are, it just means some of your interests aren't particularly masculine and that's all, but it doesn't mean you aren't masculine in other ways such as your style or voice or physical attributes. So don't worry about it. :thumbsup:

15. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just wanted to point out that both Beyonce and Lady gaga are a part of the top 40 most listened to music by men. Beyonce is 24 and Lady gaga 32 or so, both are more popular than Queen, for example, and Beyonce more than avcii. We have a tendency to underestimate how many people like the music that we like. Beyonce is really popular with women mainly because of the theme of women's empowerment but the style of music seems to be liked equally by both genders.

Here's a link to the list if you are curious: http://static.echonest.com/charts/gender_specific_top_40/

Beyond this, very few women watch Rupaul's drag race compared to men for obvious reasons, considering that the main demographic is male viewers, viewing it as a feminine activity is probably a mistake. This also highlights the fact that men who crossdress aren't acting like women, they are acting like men who are choosing to express themselves in a certain way.

#15 Eveline, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  16. Gay Deputy

^ What he said lol. actually don't think I could have said it any better.

17. Share my closet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  18. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't say that it does, as I quite enjoy wearing skirts and the like, but I can say that partaking in traditionally masculine activities and the like, to some degree helps me manage my dysphoria.

19. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it doesn't.

I'm a huge ice hockey fan, and I hope to play in a rec league some day. I primarily listen to loud and obnoxious rock and heavy metal music. I love flannel shirts. I enjoy cars, and hope to own a tricked out WRX one day, most of the work on which will be done by me personally.

These are all "manly things," yet I'm not a man. I'm still a (trans)woman who will probably work on the car in a skirt while listening to Slipknot, then drive to the rink in a dress. Liking those things doesn't invalidate my gender identity, and neither should it yours.

20. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm I like you, I drive a WRC blue WRX and I like Slipknot.

---------- Post added 2nd Nov 2016 at 12:42 PM ----------

To the OP, as you can see from this thread the answer is no.