1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else think pride parades go too far?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by falcenav, Aug 17, 2014.

1. LitePenguin

Nonetheless!

It is still quite interesting how that worked.

Partners were not notable for gender, but for role.

That's something we actually tend to scorn often, nowadays.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please specify.

3. LitePenguin

Anyway, let's drop that, I didn't mean to start a historical discussion.

>.<

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2014 at 06:00 PM ----------

Aussie, if you wish to know more, a short and easy version would be me telling you to google search.

I'm too exhausted to start another discussion >.<

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anyway, in light of recent events in the United States and other countries where marriage equality has become a reality despite some dudes whipping it out every now and again, I think we can safely say that our expression at pride parades hasn't substantially slowed progress in any measurable way.

5. LitePenguin

Thank you, Pret.

I will agree to that, gladly.

6. Derivative

Derivative Guest

In regards to my noobiness, I agree :slight_smile:

Hopefully more states and countries will follow.

7. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And also as far as ancient rome and greece, that doesn't seem like the best example to give for homosexuality. Though I haven't been thorough about reading up on it.

8. LitePenguin

Gaaah!

Can we please drop the historical discussion! I'm going to have a nervous breakdown!
    XD

9. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the thing--I always think it's weird that people always trot out this notion that as long as there are drag queens and go go boys and the like in the parade no one will ever respect us. And yet my city's pride parade had all those things this year--and the mayor and the governor and one of my senators and my congressman... and over a million people in attendance. I guess they didn't get the memo...

10. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry. You brought it up. Just responding. As a bi woman, I would like better examples in history than greece and rome...but that is just my opinion! Sorry to upset you so much.

11. SeaSalt

I cant find you an example however according to my apparently well read councillor at college, the role of the Gay people in certain cultures is almost like a guard. The idea being that all of the hetero guys would go out hunting and it would be the gay guys roles to protect the home while they were away as the only men left. Wether its true or not I have no idea. I have also read of gay people being very celibrated in some of the older native american tribes where gay boys would become high ranking tribesman such as shamans. again I cant remember where I read the later and I dont know if any of this true or not since I am neither a Cave man nor a Native American.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Likewise, in my state, zero people have dressed inappropriately for the past five years. Despite that, people still write letters to the editor of our local newspapers asserting that pride needs to be banned because "I have a right not to have my children subjected to that."

This is the level of evil we're talking about folks. We're talking about societal vandals and gender fascists. I can't stress enough my confusion about how us changing our behavior is going to cause them to somehow develop humanity and stop victimizing everyone around them like the sick vampires they are.

13. LitePenguin

No, no, it's fine.

I just didn't expect the quite literal hurricane I walked into xD.

It's all good :slight_smile:

14. SeaSalt

15. LitePenguin

Oh, yes! I think that was what I had originally thought of as an example.

And if you're looking for a female example of homosexuality, Greek worship of Aphrodite often resulted in her (usually) female priestesses pairing together.

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2014 at 06:18 PM ----------

Agggh!

Bad me! Stop. Starting. Discussions!

16. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not interpreting the critics to the parade as this. I think people here are trying to say that being gay is more than what the parade is, and it shows only a side of us.

I may be wrong, but at least my carefull view towards the parade (i'm still thinking about it, i don't have a formed opinion isn't about "our problem is our personality, we need to change that to please society". Someone here may have said that, but in that case i disagree with that person.

Talking about me, i never said that, and i will be really upset if someone says i think that way.

You are right, i just don't think there are homophobic coments in this thread, especifically.

I understand that there are people here who are tired to discuss this, but i believe i'm not the only one who is seeing this topic here on EC for the first time. It would be nice to see the different point of views without us killing each other. :frowning2:

Anyway, i am not either against or for the parade, so i will just read the comments and think about it. It just makes me sad that the discussion seems to be turning to a personal level on a agressive way, instead of a constructive way.

#136 Chiroptera, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  17. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Perpetuating stereotypes won't get rid of them, and that's all I need to say.

#137 An Gentleman, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  18. Candace

I love all of your responses, particularly Maddy's :slight_smile:.

As I said before, whatever stereotypes that perpetuate out of gay pride parades, those are the fault of the ignorant bigots who have nothing better to do but whine and harass about how different we are. The stereotype of having almost naked guys and girls running around screaming? Does anyone here remember Woodstock? Sure had a lot of those types running rampantly, although straight. So, that fails. What's next? We're being too proud to be gay? People show how proud they are to be straight everyday. I love my wife/husband/kids (meaning that I'm straight and married someone of the opposite sex, so I have to point that out for you).

Basically, there are bigots out there who don't like gay people (as if I didn't know already) and will come up with anything to use as a scapegoat in order to mask their insecurities. They don't loathe scantily clad guys and girls screaming in the streets because they're happy. They loathe gay people! Even if we walked down the street in business attire in a march akin to a funeral procession, they'd still hate us :dry:.

19. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Historical post, here (no, Litepenguin does not have to reply. Can if he chooses to, but nobody's obligated).

As far as I know, pride parades are, at their root, a celebration of the Stonewall Riots in New York City, that happened over 40 years ago.

For those that are unaware, the Stonewall was a club where a lot of LGBT people, especially drag queens, went to. From what I remember reading about it, there was a bar, and a whole lot of grinding. Now, remember, at this time period, these things were very rare, because very few establishments allowed these kinds of things. The police checked the place regularly. Not to mention, police raids on gay bars and LGBT establishments were quite common. The place itself was also owned by the mafia. This was the only way to keep the place funded. Every month, the police would go to the back room where the drag queens hung out, and everybody would have to show ID. ANYBODY without ID or dressed fully in drag was arrested. Women had to have 3 pieces of feminine clothing, or they'd get arrested. Now, keep in mind that this was basically THE gay bar in New York City.

On June 28, 1969, the police arrived, announcing they were taking the place down. And everybody else had enough. To make a long story short, the entire bar ended up getting destroyed, the alcohol got bootlegged, some people escaped police squad cars, and the entire riot lasted 3 days.

The next year, people in NYC decided that a celebration of Stonewall was a good idea, and so did people in many other cities.

This is why you see people the way they are. This is why these pride parades happen. Not only because of Stonewall, but also as a statement that those you try to beat down aren't going to take your bullshit. They're going to be as awesome as they can be, whether that be in feathers, a cop suit, almost nude, or wearing jeans and a t-shirt. That society looks at the outside of people way too often, and doesn't try much to look past it, and it's a bullshit way to live life, and that perhaps that guy in the feathers might have done something awesome to you, or maybe he will. It's the same message that the Civil Rights movement in the 50s tried teaching, but in another dialect.

20. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You have the best replys on here so far. :lol: