1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else get gender dysphoria while exercising?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aytch, May 13, 2020.

1. Aytch

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m AFAB genderqueer and I am having a really hard time exercising during COVID-19 shelter in place. I get mild dysphoria about basically every part of my body except for my face and it seems to get worse whenever I exercise. My chest dysphoria is the worst, and that gets REALLY bad when I exercise. I cant always bind right after an exercise because my parents aren’t very supportive of me and don’t know I have a binder. Does anyone else get dysphoria while exercising and does anyone know how to stop it?

2. Stitchy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel that a lot of the time when I'm exercising. I can't wear my binder and so I'm very self-conscious of my chest because I have to run outside. And when I'm running, the wind kind of pushes my shirt into me which shows my hips. I don't know of a way to stop it. I think it's just something you have to deal with.

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. Aytch

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for the tip! I will definitely look into that.

5. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm going the other way, so I can't relate as well as others, but here's my experience:

I tend to feel dysphoric when I start comparing myself to other girls at the gym.

I have to remind myself that plenty of people, including cis- people, feel negatively about their bodies because they compare themselves to others. I try to focus on my own fitness goals and not so much on others.

And, not being out, I feel dysphoric having to use the men's locker room, but that's only temporary; one day I'll be using the women's.

I also feel a bit self-conscious about my own breast growth and I worry that someone may notice, but in all honesty they'd have to be very close and deliberately checking me out to notice anything.

6. Needhelp3

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don’t know what to say here other than I’m a male and I have A nice rack.(it does cause embarrassment)

Growing up I was always lifting weights so it was normal to have a big chest.

But now that I realize that I’m gay I wonder about why I have boobs..

Yes I make no sense right now just talking. Have a great night

7. Soybean

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do too! I can't where a binder while excising and its annoying. Sorry, I can't help. But, you're not the only one!

8. Jedi

I get it too. What I find helps is to wear the most gender affirming clothing possible, and try to focus on and work in the aspects of your body that you like or that make you feel good about yourself, but there are times when I just get completely wound up in the dysphoria, then what I do is just exercise until I'm so exhausted I don't have energy to think about it.