1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think in pictures or words?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lawrence, Jun 18, 2015.

?

Do you think in pictures or words?

1. Pretty balanced with both

37 vote(s)
    36.3%
  2. Mostly pictures

41 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Mostly words

24 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Words for the dialogue, pictures of the scene.

2. grass

grass Guest

I associate numbers and most letters with colors.

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Meh. Neither of those to be honest.

My head is mostly filled with sounds. Sounds of the words (never the written form) and sound of the dialogue. For example, if I think of a number, I won't think ''66'', but hear ''sixty-six'' (or ''soixante-six'' to be exact).

This is the reason why I memorize so well when something is said to me but tend to immediately forget it if I read it.

4. sojabohnenfeld

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think entirely in pictures, and I speak four languages (this, German, Japanese, Slovak). I'm not really sure if there's a connection there but I've found that I learn words wayy faster if I for a word connect the sounds of it in all three languages to one picture. If I try connecting it them all to the english meaning, it makes me rely on English too much. I think?

5. Qwertuvle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its funny, thinking about how to answer this gave me my answer. I think in both images and words. However, my cognitive process seems to be more focused on words while images are just used to ground a concept into reality. Ex. If im thinking about how to do something most of the actual thought will be by words. Once I have created some idea, however, i will imagine said idea via imagery.

I feel like i made that seem to complex.

6. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Mostly if not solely pictures. That's how i'm like one of the few who have most of the produce (and such) UPC's memorized at work as a cashier at my local grocery store haha. Remembering the picture of the fruit with the number written below it from the packet of codes just came easily to me after a while.

Its complicated though because i have a poor working short term memory for some reason, and in order to remember to do something sometimes i have to do something extra to help cement it in my memory. Like say it aloud, write it down, or if its something at work like to remember to clean a specific register on self check i'll just tap the machine twice with my hand. Odd but it works.

#66 AlexJames, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2017
  7. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I think about & visualize things mostly in pictures...I'm a pretty visual person, and I have a vivid imagination, but I'm also good with words. It makes writing & storytelling come pretty easily for me...I guess that's why I love writing so much lol.

8. Lazuri

A balanced mix of both.

One of my best friends, however, has a condition that makes it difficult to remember places and people, and they tend to blend together. Because of this, she thinks and remembers things in colors instead.

9. enbybean

i process things in text a lot of the time and then "translate" it into images in my mind. i think of words as symbols, which is how they become images in my brain.

although, if i'm trying to find a word, then i run through a catalog of words in my brain, so that's mostly text. otherwise, mostly images.

10. Mark1410

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It depends: when I think about m own stuff, i think in words mostly, but when I daydream (yes i do it in various moments of the day :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) i mostly think in pictures.