1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think HOCD is an LGBT issue?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Mar 19, 2014.

?

I think HOCD is mostly...

1. a mental health issue.

68.2%
  2. an LGBT issue.

4.5%
  3. I think it's equal.

27.3%
  1. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HOCD is not a separate condition - just a particular manifestation of OCD - but it certainly does occur.

Personally, I think it's both. Obviously any form of OCD is a mental health issue. However, many people with HOCD, instead or in addition to seeking mental health treatment, seek out support from LGTB groups. I mean, I see people with HOCD or possible HOCD on this forum pretty frequently. So, since these people will tend to seek out LGTB support, and it isn't always easy to tell the difference between an LGTB person and someone with HOCD, I think people who are providing support for LGTB issues should be aware of HOCD and able to offer help to those people as well.

2. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen a few people on EC who genuinely seemed to have HOCD of some form. 'Liquid' was the most recent one that I can remember. I can't dig up his thread but based on what he posted, that immediately jumped to mind. He posted on my wall asking for help, but it looks like he either closed his account or got banned before I could respond. I meant to ask him if he had a history with OCD--probably would've played it very carefully before throwing that idea out there.

It's a mental health issue. OCD can severely interfere with someone's life. Ruminating about their sexuality despite knowing what they are is a very easy thing some people with OCD can get hung up on. Eventually they move on to the next fixation but it can preoccupy them for years.

#22 Spatula, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  3. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I also remember paranoidkid. His posts were repetitive, but they were quite entertaining. Since I haven't seen him for a while I'm guessing that he has his obsession under control.