1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you need to be dysmorphic to be trans?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Rainbows~Exist, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Rainbows~Exist

I'm asking this because in order to receive HRT you have to speak to your doctor and 'Convince' him/her that transitioning is something you really want to do, have to do in a way. I have that desire but unlike a lot of trans individuals I'm not that dysmorphic. Sometimes I feel like no one takes me seriously because of this :/

2. be chill

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Biologically, transitioning messes up your hormones and alters your whole body, aand requires serious operations, which may cause some side-effects just like any aesthical surgery. Doctors should understand that this problem, you living as the oposite gender, is causing mental health problems for you and damages you. If you only want gender transitioning but still happy with the gender you're born into, doctors may advise you to not transition, which will permenantly alter your body trough unnatural operations.
    p.s. : any trans people reading this, I hope I didn't offend you. The demand to transition is natural and it is okay, but the medical surgeries have some risks like every other and are unnatural.

3. Rainbows~Exist

Ah right... I understand now :slight_smile:

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HRT can cause a lot of serious and permanent changes to one's body. It tries to transform you into having the secondary sex characteristics of the opposite physical sex. You can be trans without having dysphoria, but the reasons most doctors recommend it only to dysphoric trans people has to do with the permanent secondary sex changes it causes. If a biological male is happy/content with their body, HRT will change it and can cause dysphoria toward wanting the "male" features back.

5. AngieT

AngieT Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    We're all individuals, and there is no right or wrong way to transition. Some people find transition to be a dire necessity, while others are perfectly content without any actual physical alterations.

I understand your assertion that it seems that transition is unnecessarily gated by mental health professionals, but it's not there to prohibit your transition as much as its there to protect people from making irreversible, life altering decisions that they could regret in the future.

If you have any reservations, discussing unsettled issues with a professional gender therapist is in your best interest. You're still young, so take your time and plan carefully.