1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have social anxiety?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crystalbal, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have mild to moderate social anxiety. But I'm on medication for it, so I don't really notice it as much anymore

2. ABeautifulMind

Hey gorgon, how did things go talking to your friend? You guys getting along again?

On to the topic at hand, You know it seems to me a therapy dog, possibly service dog (depending on the individuals symptoms of anxiety), would be a good treatment for anxiety issues... It did wonders for my anxiety from AS... Pretty much the thing that pushed me from managing it to controlling it... Does anyone have or know someone with a dog for social anxiety?

3. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I do but im happy to say that im on the better side of how I used to be. Im currently seeing a councilor and on meds which have helped me so much. I can even speak on the phone easily now when before I would really panic. I found the best way of fighting it is to face the fear head on which I know is easier said then done.

Hang in there though, there is help out there and a way to fight it.

4. Rainsworth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know, really. sometimes i think i have it, cause when i'm about to leave the house or something i get a little "weird" feeling, not quite nervousness, but it may be associated with it. but then when i actually get out of the house, i feel nothing. it's like i'm on autopilot, except i'm in control, it feels like my body is light and i don't feel any burden/anxiety that a normal person should feel, cause even normal people, or to put it more nicely "people without social anxiety", do feel anxiety to a certain level. it's so fucking confusing, i know. i guess isolation messes up with your head that much.

#64 Rainsworth, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  5. NR23

NR23 New Member

I have social anxiety. I'd say mild/moderate, but it used to be a lot worse. I still get really bad if I have to speak to a group of people or, heaven forbid, perform. For normal situations though, I've found that the best fix for when my SA's getting bad has been to set up a placebo effect, even though I'm aware that's what it is(e.g. "If I wear this coat/bracelet/hair tie/etc., I will not be anxious"). I've not heard of anyone else doing this to help manage social anxiety, but hey, for me it works really well.

6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not at all. But, my twin sister does.

7. Tomi

I scored 67 out of 90 indicating a high amount of social anxiety, Sounds about right. Most of the time I just lock myself in my room and if anyone knocks on the house door I become overwhelmed with panic, same when it comes to phones, I don't mind texting as much although I do deliberate over my texts for 10mins thinking about how the recipient would reply and preempting every and any response. I don't answer phones or call out and even got to the point where I blocked any calls to my phone from everyone. The only place I feel safe from anxiety is behind a computer.

The only thing that seems to numb my social anxiety is when I drink alcohol but I know that can be a slippery slope into alcoholism so although I get a temporary relief from drinking I only drink in moderation and usually restrict myself to weekends or occasions.

8. Scorpio1024

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have social anxiety. A fear of being trapped on all sides by people. Pep rallies, graduation, walking the halls of school all make me nervous. I'm not claustrophobic. Because closed spaces don't scare me.

9. Formality

I don't leave the house sometimes because certain social situations make me feel so uncomfortable and nervous. Don't get me wrong, some days I am all about small talk with strangers and I feel completely confident and comfortable. Other days tho. I usually feel much more comfortable in public if I am with someone I know that I can lean on.

10. Lightsaberpearl

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have it bad- sometimes it gets to the point where I feel like I'd rather die than go to a social event. But I'm on a new medication and going to therapy so it's getting more manageable

11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to think I did, but then I realized I just hated social interaction in general.

12. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder.

but, except this, I just fear people. I fear their actions. I struggle to trust them. I'm scared of them.