1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have social anxiety?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crystalbal, Jul 12, 2016.

1. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi guys :slight_smile:

Do you have social anxiety?

Here is an online article which explains about social anxiety if you are not sure what it means.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_anxiety_disorder

As for me, yup I do have social anxiety and its quite severe. It has been affecting my daily life quite significantly.

I would to know members of EC who have social anxiety. We can be supportive of each other!(&&&)

:slight_smile:

2. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    yea pretty sure i do

3. Glowing Eyes

Warning: Shameless self-rambling ahead

Definitely. It's been getting better due to some pill for my ADHD (it's really great and the best part is that I don't depend or need it every day). But yeah, I have a lot of social anxiety. I keep picturing every encounter with somebody but when the time comes and I get the opportunity, it obviously never lines up with my fantasy and as a result I'm unprepared to speak. I also feel judged, watched, and hated over the tiniest things (like swallowing spit when I'm nervous) even when nobody's doing any of these. I also get really worried what people think of every little thing I do or say and over-analyze to the point where I some encounters that I thought went smoothly start to worry me. I also just can't stand presenting 'cause then everybody is really watching me. I'm also significantly shy in front of girls than boys and always think they think I'm crushing on them. That said, when I'm on pills, I can talk although I've still got some problems. I've also gotten a bit better on my own mainly through how my separation anxiety has significantly dropped on it's own last year. Still, I feel like I can never find the right moments to speak and things I say don't seem to come off the same way I see them in my mind. This is part of the reason I love EC so much along with being understood.

Thanks for giving me a reason to talk about myself (doesn't everybody love that :slight_smile:) which I get ashamed of doing in public.

#3 Glowing Eyes, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  4. HuskyLover

Yup. I've had social anxiety for many years now and it affects my daily life significantly. School for me is a living hell on all levels, family gatherings, going out with people too, and so it continues...

To me it feels like I'm locked behind heavy bars, I can't do what I want to do. I know that the thoughts I have in my head are irrational and that they're far from real, but it's nearly impossible to overcome them. I have been with two psychologists and a therapist, since this also has given me depressive episodes, and it's just recently I've been starting to feel "different". A while back I went on a trip with the family, and this time (unlike all other times), things were different. I forced myself to think in ways my therapist told me, and heck, it actually worked. When I got home from the trip, I felt like another person, different. Now, I'm far from cured, it's just small progress, but at least it's progress!

Social Anxiety is a pain in the ass. I hate how it has ruined my life completely, especially how it has shaped my personality, too. I'm glad there are people here with it too (I'm not glad you have it, more like we understand each other, LOL) :slight_smile:

#4 HuskyLover, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  5. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I have it bad. I've had it for as long as I can remember, it really sucks and has been a major problem all my life.

6. Reflect Manta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm uneasy literally every time I have to do something, but manage to handle it pretty well. My case is probably one of the lighter ones, though.

7. HuskyLover

I just have to quote this. Even if I have soxial anxiety, a pretty bad one, my will of doing something once I've decided to do it, is pretty high. I literally push myself through shit that I'm so very uncomfortable with, just to get it done with, and I do it fairly okay. However, due to this, people don't really take me serious when I say I have social anxiety. They don't even believe a professional saying I have it, lol.

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm, I wasn't sure so I took the test at "socialanxietyinstitute.org" and I got a score of 61.

"Your score indicates a high amount of social anxiety and most likely would meet DSM-IV standards for social anxiety disorder."

I don't know if maybe having Asperger's syndrome influenced my answers, though.

9. thepandaboss

I do for sure, but I think a lot of it's related to having PTSD and stuff. It's not that I don't like people. Fuck, I love hanging out with friends and when I can be social, it's awesome. But there's times I just can't be, you know?

10. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I got "You scored 53 out of 90 possible points.

Your score indicates a moderate amount of social anxiety and would probably would meet DSM-IV qualifications for social anxiety disorder."

I'd rather work on helping the social anxiety than diagnosing it as a disorder though. Although I like to know what I am doing and stick to it, I end up worrying about what other people would perceive as ''ridiculous'' and ''not-going-to-happen'' things that to me might -> probably will happen, so I try to get myself out of it. Then I worry about what people are going to say about me if I don't go - even if the people there didn't know I was going anyway.

11. Reflect Manta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    huh...you too, eh?

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use to but ever since I started working at a restaurant that has pretty much died down.

13. PinkCarnation41

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I do. I've had social anxiety for as long as I can remember but didn't know anything about until about eight years ago. I had an official diagnosis about four years ago.

14. Spacewalker

I used to have it but since last year I got it under control, means I can deal with it and it has gotten so much better. So much better that I can tell myself now that it's ok and I calm down.
    Guys, don't give up hope.

15. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I do. I had been raped and beaten by a "so-called straight friend" who was conflicted with his feelings for men and being in the closet. Not to go into greater detail, due to the fact that I was under heavily sedated medication at the time, this guy took advantage of the situation to say the least. I would up in a coma for a couple of months which resulted me being in the hospital for about six months. Unfortunately, one of the effects from all of this was suffering from chronic social anxiety disorder. Initially, it was really bad that I was not comfortable being around anyone that I did not know in my close circle as well as terrified to leave my home alone. Being in a public environment made me break out in sweats. However, lately, things have progressed gradually. Although I still have issues being around a group or crowd of people without having someone whom I'm close to being with me, I have gotten comfortable going to various places and areas within my neighborhood by myself. To conclude, I am just taking one day at a time and I have the faith and hope within me to know that my condition will get better.

16. timo

I scored 14.

However, I also looked at the questions and thought "how would I have answered this 10 years ago" and I'm sure my score would be a LOT more higher then.

Teen anxiety is a bitch but know that it gets better

17. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    yep, but its explained by the fact that i have aspergers syndrome (basically, within autism)

18. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sure I have some form of social anxiety. I have poor verbal communication skills, hate looking people in the eye, prefer to be alone much of the time and hate walking past people on the street because I'm sure they're staring at me.

19. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it's been getting worse lately and my stomach has been in knots almost constantly lately. I haven't been able call to make an appointment at the psychiatrist because talking to people is absolutely terrifying. Also more than half the posts I try post on various websites get deleted before I even post them. During the time it's taken me to write this post my stomach ache has gotten twice as bad and my shoulders have gotten ridiculously tense. Humans are fucking terrifying.

20. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for your replies guys :slight_smile:

I admire that most of you have coped and overcame social anxiety and leading normal lives.

I hope I can be like you guys one day. :frowning2: