1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Ever Wish You Could Live In A Different Era?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vhrebels, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Did Rome continue to maintain its reign of relative liberalization in social thought? Did Greece, or Baghdad?

Did Berlin maintain its "gay mecca" status from the 20s?

Nope, I'm good right where I am. :lol:

(Btw someone correct me if I'm wrong on the Berlin thing - I read somewhere that it was very LGBT-friendly before the rise of the Nazi Party. Would that be accurate?)

#21 Browncoat, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  2. prism

One thousand years in the future, like Fry in Futurama!

Every generation has/had its problem. We look back on those decades with rosy retrospection, but they had big problems. They worried about overpopulation the same way we worry about global warming. War made them persecute other ethnic groups the same way we did after 9/11. Life is always complicated.

3. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Socially yeah, from what I understand. A lot of open homosexuality. A lot of sexuality in general.

But yeah, I know what you mean. The future is very risky. Better to stay in this time and help to make sure it does turn out better :icon_wink

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Of course, this all assumes we have a way to go to and from the future in the first place. Tell ya what, if I invent a time machine, I'm going to appear right where you'll be in precisely 30 seconds. Deal?

:lol:

5. fairlyfey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes very much so, in fact there's this Matt Smith movie I want to see about it. I think it's called "Christopher and His Kind" and it's about Christopher Isherwood. Although technically it's set in 1931, around the time when the Nazis started taking over and it very quickly became very dangerous to be gay.

6. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh bring food!!

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Did it work?

8. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont think so, Im still hungry :frowning2:

9. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Damn. I have no confidence in my future self :bang:.

10. Devious Kitty

I don't really understand the obsession people have with the past. Many seem to think there was some sort of mythical "golden age" that existed, and that if only we could go back to the 50s, 20s, ect, things would be better. I'd assume it comes from a very simplistic view of history, as if problems back then weren't as bad at they are now (of course, every generation ever has thought this.) I'd say they were worse, but we simply only hear a very short and simplistic view of them in our history books. And of course, most importantly life expectancy, medicine and technology were nowhere near as advanced as they are now.

I'd want to go to the future, not somewhere in the past. I can't say how far into the future.

11. fairlyfey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ditto!

12. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Fuck no! I am so unbelievably thankful to have been born in the era I've been born in.

The music is fantastic, for one thing. Most of my favorite music has been released in the last ten years. (Hint: it's not what you hear on the radio. You can't compare the music they play on the radio today to the music we remember from past years, because we've forgotten the crap.) The advent of the internet has made it possible to experience a wide variety of music from all over the world. You used to have to have pen palls in other countries to share cassette tapes with if you wanted to get the kind of variety you can get just on YouTube today.

And holy crap, the internet! Can we just talk about this thing for a minute? We've made it possible to access nearly all knowledge available to humankind with a few keystrokes. The speed with which the internet can be used to spread ideas is a wondrous thing, because it's the spread of ideas that drives social progress and change. It allows us, you and me!, to talk to each other! Some of you are in entirely different countries, and here I am, talking with you! How is this not amazing?

Not to mention medical advances, scientific discoveries, progressive social movements, technological innovations... Seriously, do not diss the 21st century!

13. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I'd like to live 10,000 years in the future from now. Preferably in a time when we've colonized the solar system and gotten to the point where you can pretty much travel as easily between the planets as you can travel across the oceans right now. Probably other cool stuff like virtual reality to enjoy, so I figure the quality of life would have to be better.

I wouldn't go too far in the future, because I'd worry about becoming too slow and antiquated to function anymore after a certain point, but I figure the human race couldn't be that much different in just 10,000 years. 100,000 or a million years would be really pushing it---cool as visiting other parts of the galaxy would probably be in those eras. I want to be close enough to the present to still have some tangible connection to the life I knew. I also figure the human race might all end up being a bunch of machines or some kind of super advanced bioengineered life-forms and I'd just be a caveman for the scientists to study after a certain point.

14. mpac21

I honestly wish I had a time machine to see a variety of eras. Favourites being the 50's, 60's and the Industrial Revolution, finished off with a visit to the Roman Empire. Of course benefit of the time machine being able to return to the current and possibly future eras :slight_smile:

15. Ianthe

I wish I had been born 15 years later. I think I would have been out to myself in high school. And marriage equality on the horizon as I entered adulthood.

But that's not really a different era.

As for the 50s--are you kidding? Homosexuality was still criminalized, and there was still racial segregation. And all social roles were heavily enforced--that so-called "simplicity" was not just natural, it was imposed. I much prefer the current time, thanks.

16. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I'm the only one who wants to have been born in the late 60's, early 70s. And I'd DEFINITELY want to be living in the UK, where bands are always making up gender-confused songs (I'm a Boy). I mean, The Who were writing songs for a bunch of MODS. Boys who were allowed to be feminine and be more obsessed with fashion and mirrors. Not to mention there have been some questionable moments with both The Who and The Beatles. The music from this time period is amazing. You've got The Beatles, The Who, Jimmi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, all these great bands with such artistic taste and talent. Drugs from this time period also inspired quite a bit. I don't know if I've ever heard any Who album or Pink Floyd album, hell even a Beatles album that didn't make them think something along the lines of, "Hey, let's make a song about a yellow submarine" On paper, it sounds like a terrible idea. But we all know the song because it sounds good. Not to mention the whole US vs USSR thing, plus the Space Race they had. There was so much in this time period, it's amazing. I really would have loved to be in the middle of it all.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Being a film student, this would have been an AWESOME time to be born in with movies such as Apocalypse Now, Star Wars, American Graffiti and Space Oddysey: 2001 to name a few.

#36 Jinkies, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  17. Sahale

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm reasonably content with where I am today, though I can't say I wouldn't enjoy living in the American West 150 years ago. Lawlessness, saloons, shootouts ... yeah, that'd be fun. Straight out of a Cormac McCarthy novel, almost.

18. Hexagon

Yeah. The future.

19. Ianthe

I considered this answer, but ultimately rejected it because of the total uncertainty. I mean, the way I expect and want the future to go will not necessarily be how it goes, you know?

20. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah, as we'd stated before as an example, Berlin managed to go from "gay mecca" to concentration camps in not but a decade....kind of a scary thought, considering that it could happen again for all we know.